Belfast Training Contract - 2025
What is the role?
We are looking for trainee solicitors for our Belfast/Derry office, to work alongside our lawyers and to gain a wide range experience covering various types of litigation cases including Motor, Occupational Disease, Employers Liability, Public Liability and Property damage claims. Trainee solicitors will often also gain experience in other specialist areas such as Employment Law and Professional Indemnity claims
As well as the relevant qualifications, candidates must have an ability to analyse, evaluate and communicate information logically and effectively together with proficient IT skills.
This is a two-year placement that is undertaken by trainee solicitors after they finish their law degree. We also welcome candidates with paralegal experience. Candidates with non-law degrees must have completed a law conversion course before starting their training contract.
Trainees will spend two years getting a combination of practical legal education overseen by senior solicitors at the firm, as well as training at the Institute.
What does the job involve?
As a trainee lawyer, you can expect tasks to be very varied. To keep things simple, here are a list of tasks that you can expect to encounter during your time at Clyde & Co:
- Legal research
- Drafting documents as part of transactions and litigation, including facility agreements, witness statements and pleadings
- Communicating and meeting with clients
- Attending hearings and trials, taking notes where necessary
- Filing and serving documentation at Court and on the other side
- Document review
- Bundling documents in preparation for trial
Examples of trainee duties and responsibilities
- Assisting case-handlers with active files
- Upholding the firm's reputation at external events
- Developing legal knowledge by attending both internal and external training sessions
- Managing workload as well as getting involved in pro bono
This is a brilliant opportunity for anyone who's interested in a law career - it is important that you have a Bachelors degree at 2:1 or above in any subject, or an equivalent qualification.
Non-law degree graduates must have completed a law conversion course by the time of the induction in August 2024.
We're looking for people with excellent communication and organisational skills, and an ability to work well under pressure.
- 2:1 degree in any discipline (with a conversion course completed, if necessary)
- AAB A-Level or equivalent (Mitigating circumstances will be taken into consideration)
- You must have registered your interest to sit the exam with the Institute for the 'Postgraduate Diploma in Professional Legal Studies' at the time of applying
- An offer from the Institute of Professional Legal Studies (IPLS), subject to securing a training contract
We use RARE a contextualised recruitment system to ensure fairness and equality and review applications holistically.
The Application Process
- Complete an online application
- Digital simulation - consisting of situational assessment & video interview
- Virtual assessment centre
- Offers and feedback
What we offer
We offer an competitive salary and benefits package as a trainee solicitor. You will also be entitled to a range of rewards and benefits:
- Private medical
- Pension scheme
- Group income protection
- Maternity and paternity pay
- Holiday purchase
- Cycle to work scheme
- Gym subsidy
We'll make sure you have plenty of support throughout your programme - alongside having support from your dedicated supervisor, you will also have regular one to one session with the early careers team and will be allocated a mentor from one of our newly qualified lawyers, enabling you to get peer-to-peer support and guidance. You can also look forward to a tailored induction programme and on-going internal training designed to ensure you have the skills, knowledge, and commercial acumen you need to become a well-rounded solicitor.
Please note: You should only apply to one programme per recruitment cycle.