Commercial Graduate Birmingham 2021
Colas Ltd is a UK subsidiary of the global Colas Group, which operates in over 50 countries worldwide and employs over 55,000 people. We are specialists in highways construction and have been involved in large scale UK and international construction projects within the highways, airfields and marine sectors as well as offering highways maintenance services and manufacturing our own innovative surfacing products. We hold a ‘Gold Investor in People’ award for continuously developing and rewarding our employees, offering excellent career potential.
Colas Talent Programme Overview
The Colas Graduate programme is a two- or three-year structured development programme designed to ensure graduates gain the skills, knowledge and behaviours needed to make the transition from academic life to business life. We have specially designed the programme to expose the graduates to a wide range of opportunities and experiences, allowing them to gather the needed attributes to qualify for membership of the professional body for their chosen profession, whilst adding operational value to the business and its strategic aims.
About the Role
This role provides an excellent opportunity for a Civil Engineering or Quantity Surveying graduate to gain broad commercial experience in a pre-construction and operational environment. The role will include time within both the estimating team and the site commercial management team to give a practical insight to the commercial discipline in a major infrastructure organisation.
The Commercial Graduate will assist the estimators in carrying out a range of estimating duties.
- Helping in the interpretation of contract documentation which will involve the analysis of, among other documents, specifications and drawings in order to assist in the accurate build-up of estimates.
- Support in the taking-off of quantities for tenders, Bill of Quantities production, checking of external PQS BoQs/measures
- Be involved in the procurement process with the supply chain.
You will be given the opportunity to gain increasing responsibility and a broad understanding of the estimating functions undertaken by the entire team including using the latest estimating software (Candy/Causeway).
You will also be provided with the opportunity to experience the site based commercial functions, working with the Commercial Managers and Quantity Surveyors on an operational site. This will enable you to get the practical experience to provide you with a rounded understanding of all aspects of the project lifecycle.
- Involvement in monthly valuations
- Change management/evaluation
- Subcontract package management
- Cost capture
- Provide support for the commercial reporting procedures
- To manage highways contracts ensuring all business interests are met
- Provide analytical and administrative support to the commercial management, estimating, and planning functions within the team.
- Read and interpret contract documentation and provide relevant summary information
- Undertake quantity take offs and produce bills of quantities
- Identify, request and analyse quotations from suppliers
- Assist in identification of risks and opportunities through the tender process, including mitigating risks and maximizing opportunities and costing.
- Update relevant estimating-related databases
- Use software to produce scheme programmes and estimates
- Undertake site activities and work within various business units to support your learning programme.
- Support the site commercial team in measuring the progress of works on site
- Capture costs from goods received notes, subcontract applications and help with the reporting of this information
- Work on the buildup of costs from first principals to support both the estimating function and site teams in the preparation of Compensation Events.
- Live the Colas vision, mission and values
We are looking for a flexible and motivated graduate who has a genuine passion for Civil Engineering and Quantity Surveying and has a desire to develop their existing skills and acquire new technical competences to enhance their personal and team capabilities.
- A minimum of a 2:2 in a relevant Quantity Surveying degree
- A full, clean UK driving licence
- Basic knowledge of MS packages including Outlook, Word and Excel
- Friendly, flexible approach to your working day and a willingness to support and work with your colleagues
- Enthusiastic and eager attitude to learn and develop personally and professionally
- Basic understanding and knowledge of MCDHW Method of Measurement and NEC3/4 Conditions of Contract
- Willingness to act as a One Planet Champion contributing to environmental and social value outcomes, we will provide access to training and support to do so
Salary & Benefits
As well as a highly competitive salary, Colas are also offering some great benefits with this role, which include:
- Competitive pension contribution
- 25 days annual leave per annum + the option to buy or sell up to 5 days annual leave
- Flexible working
- Ongoing training, and personal professional development
- Discounts on car leasing, holidays, cinema tickets, restaurants and much more through our online employee benefits portal
As part of our recruitment process for our new 2021 Talent programme at Colas, we want to learn more about you! Please can you provide answers to the following two questions, along with your CV and covering letter and send to our Recruitment team at Careers@Colas.co.uk
Tell us about a time you've demonstrated excellent team work skills - what part did you play and what did you achieve as a team as a result?
Tell us about something you have personally achieved that you are particularly proud of
Once your application has been submitted, a member of the recruitment team will be in touch to discuss next steps and tell you more about our brand new talent programme!