Graduate Civil Engineer Birmingham 2021
Colas Ltd is a UK subsidiary of the global Colas Group, which operates in over 50 countries worldwide and employs over 55,000 people. We are specialists in highways construction and have been involved in large scale UK and international construction projects within the highways, airfields and marine sectors as well as offering highways maintenance services and manufacturing our own innovative surfacing products. We hold a ‘Gold Investor in People’ award for continuously developing and rewarding our employees, offering excellent career potential.
Colas Talent Programme Overview
The Colas Graduate programme is a two- or three-year structured development programme designed to ensure graduates gain the skills, knowledge and behaviours needed to make the transition from academic life to business life. We have specially designed the programme to expose the graduates to a wide range of opportunities and experiences, allowing them to gather the needed attributes to qualify for membership of the professional body for their chosen profession, whilst adding operational value to the business and its strategic aims.
About the Role
You will assist the team in all relevant projects and activities to meet Colas and the client objectives and needs. Working as part of a team, you will acquire a portfolio of technical knowledge and transferable skills that will give you a wide choice of careers options within Colas.
You will undertake work of a technical nature that falls within the ability and competence of a graduate and work within a team to manage existing projects and help deliver new schemes which meet the business objectives.
To learn all aspects of contract works initially TMC type small works and asset management functions then moving on to LCR surfacing and bigger contracts with the aim to become a site manager within our larger projects division.
- To manage highways contracts ensuring all business interests are met
- Meet the expected contract costs and productivity targets and monitor these on a weekly basis
- Prepare CDM plans where the contract requires
- Assist in the preparation of estimates
- Ensure the Colas Safety Policy is implemented and fully understood
- Ensure the Quality systems and issues are understood and followed
- Carry out any other appropriate duties assigned by your line manager
We are looking for a flexible and motivated graduate who has a genuine passion for Civil Engineering, and has a desire to develop their existing skills and acquire new technical competences to enhance their personal and team capabilities.
- A minimum of a 2:2 BEng (Hons) or BSc (Hons) in Civil Engineering
- A full, clean UK driving licence
- Computer literate and conversant with the MS Office suite
- Good written, oral communication and organisational skills
- Basic project experience
- Proven ability to work within a team environment with a dedicated approach to meet project deadlines
- Proven enthusiasm to embrace and participate in career development initiatives
- Self-motivated with the drive to achieve continuous improvement targets
- Willingness to act as a One Planet Champion contributing to environmental and social value outcomes, we will provide access to training and support to do so
Salary & Benefits
As well as a highly competitive salary, Colas are also offering some great benefits with this role, which include:
- Competitive pension contribution
- 25 days annual leave per annum + the option to buy or sell up to 5 days annual leave
- Flexible working
- Ongoing training, and personal professional development
- Discounts on car leasing, holidays, cinema tickets, restaurants and much more through our online employee benefits portal
As part of our recruitment process for our new 2021 Talent programme at Colas, we want to learn more about you! Please can you provide answers to the following two questions, along with your CV and covering letter and send to our Recruitment team at Careers@Colas.co.uk
Tell us about a time you've demonstrated excellent team work skills - what part did you play and what did you achieve as a team as a result?
Tell us about something you have personally achieved that you are particularly proud of
Once your application has been submitted, a member of the recruitment team will be in touch to discuss next steps and tell you more about our brand new talent programme!