Digital Socio-Economic Graduate Maidenhead 2021
We have an opportunity, initially based in our Innovation Team, working with our PhD researchers and linked universities helping Costain secure innovation funding and then delivering those innovation projects with our partners and customers. We are currently working on a range of cutting-edge projects and would like to increase the team resources with socio-economic expertise. Current projects include the Intelligent Infrastructure Control Centre (IICC) where we are working with our partners using SAP technology to visualise programme metrics including Social Value and embedded Carbon.
In this role you will also be part of the Costain Social Value Consultancy, supporting bids and the delivery of commissions varying from a month to two years for multiple clients. These can range from shaping the strategy for asset delivery, to carrying out a socio-economic assessment of a new visitor's centre, on a reservoir, for a water sector client, or supporting a local authority in embedding Social Value into their energy strategy for zero carbon.
- Supporting the socio-economic development of the IICC tool to align with Social, Environmental and Governance (SDG) reporting and the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (UNSDGs) to meet our customers' needs
- Research and development related to Social Value, including using Geographical Information systems (GIS) to map local community organisations, metrics and the delivery of innovation and consultancy commissions.
- Writing bids for socio-economic innovation and consultancy commissions linked with our university and digital offerings including bids for funds such as those administer by the water sector regulator ofwat. https://www.ofwat.gov.uk/regulated-companies/innovation-in-the-water-sector/water-innovation-competitions/
- Writing case studies and Social Return on Investment ( SROI) reports for innovation and consultancy projects
- Writing bids and delivering innovative commissions using digital technology to shape the values framework of assets and maximise Social Value
- Supporting our customers in targeting, measuring, and managing impact and the consequences of our activities using digital tools
- Assisting our customers in moving from input and output measurement, to outcomes using technology to assist in that innovative shift
We are looking for someone whose driving purpose is to improve people’s lives. You will need to demonstrate that you are self-motivated and self-driven. You should evidence the contribution already made to your local community and wider society. In addition, you will need to demonstrate a grasp and affinity with the role of technology in enabling change. Knowledge of economic tools such as cost benefit analysis and revealed preference will be an advantage as will an understanding of social policy.
You will need to demonstrate a drive to innovate and improve including with a high level of research analysis and writing skills. It is anticipated you will have demonstrated this in a degree or MSc in a related subject. We welcome applications from a diverse range of subjects including Economics, the wider social sciences and STEM. Applicants will need to demonstrate the relevance and applicability of their academic studies to the role.
Applications are invited from candidates with a 2:1 degree in a related subject.
You are good at
- Writing reports to a high standard
- Being a self-starter, pro-active and able to work on own initiative
- Prioritising work and organising your time
- Research and analysing complex data
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Focusing on the community and society stakeholders and the customer
- Using technology to deliver efficiency and change
Having experience or interest in delivering Social Value would be preferred but not essential.
Throughout the Graduate Development Programme we will provide you appropriate mentoring and training to support your ongoing development.
Costain helps to improve people’s lives with integrated, leading edge, smart infrastructure solutions across the UK’s energy, water, transportation and defence markets. We help our clients improve their business performance by increasing capacity, improving customer service, safeguarding security, enhancing resilience, decarbonising and delivering increased efficiency. Our vision is to be the UK’s leading smart infrastructure solutions company. We will achieve this by focusing on blue chip clients whose major spending plans are underpinned by strategic national needs, regulatory commitments, legislation or essential performance requirements. We offer our clients leading edge solutions that are digitally optimised through the following five services which cover the whole lifecycle of their assets: future-shaping strategic consultancy; consultancy and advisory; digital technology solutions; asset optimisation and complex programme delivery. Our culture and values underpin everything we do.
Should you require any adjustments to support you in your application, please do not hesitate to contact us: email@example.com
We welcome all applicants regardless of age, race, faith, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, socioeconomic background and physical or neurological disabilities.
We welcome you to ask about the flexibility you need for dynamic working. Such as, working part-time, remote working, or compressed hours. In return, we will explore what is possible.