Environmental SHE Graduate 2021
Costain helps to improve people’s lives with integrated, leading edge, smart infrastructure solutions across the UK’s energy, water, transportation and defence markets. We help our clients improve their business performance by increasing capacity, improving customer service, safeguarding security, enhancing resilience, decarbonising and delivering increased efficiency. Our vision is to be the UK’s leading smart infrastructure solutions company. We will achieve this by focusing on blue chip clients whose major spending plans are underpinned by strategic national needs, regulatory commitments, legislation or essential performance requirements. We offer our clients leading edge solutions that are digitally optimised through the following five services which cover the whole lifecycle of their assets: future-shaping strategic consultancy; consultancy and advisory; digital technology solutions; asset optimisation and complex programme delivery. Our culture and values underpin everything we do.
What will I be doing?
- Assist in providing advice on the practical implementation of the company’s SHE policies and processes
- Assist SHE manager or delegate and Contract Management in understanding of stakeholders (internal and external) aims, priorities and risks with regards to SHE
- Assist with the development of Health, Safety and Environmental Management plans if applicable and coordination of review
- Assist in providing operational and functional management with advice on the prevention of accidents, incidents and ill health,
- Provide advice and guidance for obtaining legal consents, licenses and exemptions such as discharge consents, abstraction licenses and waste management licenses as and when required and as directed.
- Assist the SHE Manager and other members of the SHE team, in key tasks to assist in the development, management, implementation and monitoring of the Safety, Health and Environmental Management System.
- Assist SHE Manager, or delegate and Contract Management in establishing, managing and maintaining relationships with external stakeholders such as local authorities, HSE, EA, and others as required and directed
- Assist with and undertake SHE Advisory Visit, Inspections and Audits where required of operational sites. Participate, as requested in “Company” Group SHE audits.
- Research Safety, Health and Environmental Issues and best practices as directed by the SHE Manager or delegate
- Provide support to the Bid management team with regards to marketing, tenders and pre-qualification information
- When directed, assist with the preparation of SHE risk assessments and Method Statements
- Experience of delivering presentations, talking in public etc
- The ability to thrive in pressure situations
- The ability to empathise and communicate with all people, regardless of their background or circumstances
- Excellent organisations, communication and time management skills
- Be able to work on own initiative when required
- Be computer literate
- Bsc in Health & Safety Management
- Or Health, Safety and Environment Management Or Environment Management - or equivalent
- For SHE - A degree with an element of Environmental management preferred
- For Env - A degree with an element of Safety & Health management preferred
- Work Placement or experience within a relevant industry & field