Graduate Environmental Advisor 2021
Costain helps to improve people’s lives by deploying technology-based engineering solutions to meet urgent national needs across the UK’s energy, water and transportation infrastructures.
Thames Tideway Tunnel, Main Works East is a £650m project recently secured by a Costain joint venture (“CVB”), to provide a new 7.2m diameter tunnel to divert waste from the Victorian built sewer from discharging into the Thames. The tunnel runs from Chambers Wharf to Abbey Mills where it connects with the Lee Tunnel. The works include: the main tunnel drive, a connection tunnel from Greenwich Pumping Station, shaft constructions, a connection to the newly constructed Lee Tunnel project, and minor works at Beckton Sewage Treatment, all as part of an overall project to reduce sewer discharge overflows into the River Thames. The works are scheduled to commence on site in March 2016 and complete in March 2022.
An exciting opportunity for a Graduate Environmental Advisor has arisen on our Thames Tideway project.
Key Responsibilities will include:
- Understand the Company Health & Safety and Environmental Policies and Processes and statutory requirements as they affect the company’s operations and ensure that the requirements are implemented.
- Assist in providing advice on the practical implementation of the company’s Environmental policies and processes
- Assist the Environmental manager or delegate and Contract Management in the understanding of stakeholders (internal and external) aims, priorities and risks with regards to environmental aspects.
- Assist with the development of Environmental Management plans, if applicable, and coordination of their review.
- Assist in providing operational and functional management with advice on the prevention of accidents and incidents.
- Provide advice and guidance for obtaining legal consents, licenses and exemptions such as discharge consents, abstraction licenses and waste management licenses as and when required and as directed.
- Data collection and management associated with environmental Key Performance Indicators and assisting with monthly environmental reporting.
- Assist the Environmental Manager and other members of the Environmental team, in key tasks to assist in the development, management, implementation and monitoring of the Environmental Management System.
- Assist the Environment Manager, or delegate and Contract Management in establishing, managing and maintaining relationships with external stakeholders such as local authorities, EA, PLA, MMO and others as required and directed.
- Assist with and undertake Environmental Advisory Visits, Inspections and Audits where required of operational sites. Participate, as requested in “Company” Group SHE audits.
- Research Environmental Issues and best practices as directed by the Environmental Manager or delegate.
- Assist in the investigation of accidents, incidents, dangerous occurrences, near misses and other incidents as directed.
- BSc in Environmental Management (or equivalent).
- IT proficient.
- Work experience (desirable).
- Able to work accurately and appreciate its importance to the team.
- A willingness to learn with appropriate instruction.
- Organised and able to prioritise workload.
- Must be a team player.
- Experience of delivering presentations, talking in public etc
- The ability to thrive in pressure situations
- The ability to empathise and communicate with all people, regardless of their background or circumstances
- Excellent organisation, communication, and time management skills
We’re dedicated to providing a broad range of rewards and benefits. As well as a competitive salary, our employees enjoy a comprehensive core benefits package which includes:
- Group Pension Plan, to help you save for the future
- Employee Assistance Programme, to help employees and their families balance the pressures of work and home life
- Incentive payments to recognise high-performance
- Life assurance, to help protect your loved ones financially
- Funded membership to a professional Institute
- Private healthcare and dental packages
- Salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme
- Discounted gym membership, to keep you as fit and as healthy as you can be
- Volunteering days, so you can give back to your local community
- Save as You Earn (SAYE) scheme, that lets you save towards buying shares in Costain