Graduate Quantity Surveyor Leicester 2021
The role of Graduate Quantity Surveyor is to assist in administration and management of costs and contracts relating to projects. The role may involve all aspects of work from the initial tender to final account and close out, seeking to minimise the costs and enhance value for money whilst achieving the required standards and quality. This role will work under the close direction and supervision of a more senior quantity surveyor.
About the project
Cadent is the UK’s largest Gas Distribution Company, operating 4 of the 8 UK Gas Distribution Networks (East of England, London, North West and West Midlands). Their service spans over 131,000 kilometres of pipes supplying to 11 million homes & businesses. They also operate the Gas Emergency Helpline for the whole of the UK.
Cadent’s Investment Programme is a critical part of their business, accounting for approximately 60% of the operational workload. The activities includes core mains and service replacement, customer diversions and reinforcement works.
Cadent has tendered a change from a traditional Tier 1 Utilities Contractor framework to a direct relationship with its Tier 2/ 3 supply chain. However, these key operational activities will be managed by a new Construction Management Organisation (CMO) on Cadent’s behalf who will also undertake Principal Designer and Principal Contractor duties. Costain is the preferred bidder for the East of England Construction Management organisation (CMO) and as the Client’s agent, develop and optimise the Network Investment Programme, scheduling and resourcing the agreed programme, manage 3rd parties, stakeholders, permits and approvals, manage/ supervise/ support the delivery by Cadent’s Local Delivery Partners (tier 2 & 3 contractors) and manage all customer relations for an incentivised 10-year contract. The CMO will also undertake Principal Designer and Principal Contractor duties.
- Management of the supply chain packages
- Provide support to the commercial and wider team where necessary
- Scoping packages, quantifying works, collating enquiry documentation, issuing tender enquiries, analysing tenders including documenting queries
- Liabilities entered onto E1 within required deadlines
- Entering of payments onto E1 within required deadlines
- Implement commercial procedures and reporting to ensure compliance with company and contract requirements
- Ensure appropriate commercial records are maintained in line with the contract requirements
- Produce final subcontract tender comparison for presentation to Commercial Lead
- Work with construction package managers during procurement process
- Liaise with design team as required
- Identification of Risk and Opportunities for the subcontract packages you are responsible for
- Procurement of subcontractors for acquired packages
- Engaging and liaising with supply chain to ensure level playing field for all tenderers
- Compliance and adherence with project and company commercial procedures for procurement
- Minimum 2:1 achieved or expected
- Hold an RICS/CICES accredited degree, or enrolled on an accredited part-time post-graduate degree with at least 3 years of relevant experience
- Enrolled and working towards Full Membership of either RICS or CICES
- Mobility to work on various projects over the 2-year programme throughout the UK
Costain helps to improve people’s lives with integrated, leading edge, smart infrastructure solutions across the UK’s energy, water, transportation and defence markets. We help our clients improve their business performance by increasing capacity, improving customer service, safeguarding security, enhancing resilience, decarbonising and delivering increased efficiency. Our vision is to be the UK’s leading smart infrastructure solutions company. We will achieve this by focusing on blue chip clients whose major spending plans are underpinned by strategic national needs, regulatory commitments, legislation or essential performance requirements. We offer our clients leading edge solutions that are digitally optimised through the following five services which cover the whole lifecycle of their assets: future-shaping strategic consultancy; consultancy and advisory; digital technology solutions; asset optimisation and complex programme delivery. Our culture and values underpin everything we do.
Should you require any adjustments to support you in your application, please do not hesitate to contact us: email@example.com
We welcome all applicants regardless of age, race, faith, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, socioeconomic background and physical or neurological disabilities.
We welcome you to ask about the flexibility you need for dynamic working. Such as, working part-time, remote working, or compressed hours. In return, we will explore what is possible.
Right to Work & Security Checks
Understandably given the nature of our business, everyone who is employed at Costain must undergo thorough referencing checks. We will need different information depending on the job we have offered you. For all roles, we'll carry out a criminal record check and we’ll ask to see evidence that you have the legal right to work in the UK.
For some of our roles, you may be required to obtain and maintain security clearance of at least Security Check level (or SC clearance). To satisfy the requirements, you will need to have been a legal UK resident for a minimum of 5 years and have successfully complete all stages of the vetting process.