Graduate Quantity Surveyor 2021
Costain helps to improve people’s lives with integrated, leading edge, smart infrastructure solutions across the UK’s energy, water, transportation and defence markets. We help our clients improve their business performance by increasing capacity, improving customer service, safeguarding security, enhancing resilience, decarbonising and delivering increased efficiency. Our vision is to be the UK’s leading smart infrastructure solutions company. We will achieve this by focusing on blue chip clients whose major spending plans are underpinned by strategic national needs, regulatory commitments, legislation or essential performance requirements. We offer our clients leading edge solutions that are digitally optimised through the following five services which cover the whole lifecycle of their assets: future-shaping strategic consultancy; consultancy and advisory; digital technology solutions; asset optimisation and complex programme delivery. Our culture and values underpin everything we do.
The Regional Delivery Partnership is a framework contract with Highways England for the development, design and construction of capital road projects that form part of the Regional Investment Programme during Road Period 1 (2015 to 2020) and Road Period 2 (2020 to 2025). The Costain Jacobs Partnership were awarded two lots; Lot 7 (East Region) & Lot 8 (North Region). This vacancy relates to Lot 8 for the delivery of 3 schemes along the A1 corridor in Newcastle and Northumberland, with combined scheme budgets in excess of £550M. A1Scotswood to North Brunton – Construction March 2020 – late 2022 A1 Birtley to Coal House – Construction March 2021 – late 2023 A1 in Northumberland – Construction March 2021 – late 2024 The current early works are being undertaken in Stockton and Leeds (with our designers Jacobs) but will move to the north east prior to construction. It is essential that applicants are willing to travel to and work in the north east.
The role of Graduate Quantity Surveyor is to assist in administration and management of costs and contracts relating to projects. The role may involve all aspects of work from the initial tender to final account and close out, seeking to minimise the costs and enhance value for money whilst achieving the required standards and quality. This role will work under the close direction and supervision of a more senior quantity surveyor.
- Management of the supply chain packages
- Provide support to the commercial and wider team where necessary
- Scoping packages, quantifying works, collating enquiry documentation, issuing tender enquiries, analysing tenders including documenting queries
- Liabilities entered onto E1 within required deadlines
- Entering of payments onto E1 within required deadlines
- Implement commercial procedures and reporting to ensure compliance with company and contract requirements
- Ensure appropriate commercial records are maintained in line with the contract requirements
- Produce final subcontract tender comparison for presentation to Commercial Lead
- Work with construction package managers during procurement process
- Liaise with design team as required
- Identification of Risk and Opportunities for the subcontract packages you are responsible for
- Procurement of subcontractors for acquired packages
- Engaging and liaising with supply chain to ensure level playing field for all tenderers
- Compliance and adherence with project and company commercial procedures for procurement
- Minimum 2:1 achieved or expected
- Hold an RICS/CICES accredited degree, or enrolled on an accredited part-time post-graduate degree with at least 3 years of relevant experience
- Enrolled and working towards Full Membership of either RICS or CICES
- Mobility to work on various projects over the 2-year programme throughout the UK
At Costain we aim to be an accessible, diverse and inclusive organisation to continue to meet our customers’ needs. We will be industry leading in our approach and people from all backgrounds will be proud to work for Costain. Our goal is to have a workforce that is representative of society. Should you require any adjustments to support you in your application, please do not hesitate to contact us: email@example.com. We will consider all applicants regardless of age, race, faith and socioeconomic background, including those from marginalised groups.