Graduate Merchandise Assistant Traineeship Programme 2021
Our Graduate Merchandise Traineeship Programme is a fast track development programme designed to give you all the tools that you need to begin your career in Merchandising. The Programme will make sure you’re challenged and supported and give you plenty of room to grow. And with the exposure of working in the Merchandising team, you’ll certainly find your place here in Leicester.
Our Merchandising function manage the departments product buys through the supply chain from Supplier, through to the distribution centre network and into our stores to customers.
To make this as easy to understand as possible, its best for us to show you our structure.
Merchandise Assistant –> Trainee Merchandiser –> Junior Merchandiser –> Merchandiser
You will join us as a Merchandise Assistant (learning the basics will give you a good foundation to build on) your development continues via a structured training plan to get you to the next stage of being a Trainee Merchandiser (we’ll ensure you develop at the same pace as your peers) and then you are on your way to becoming a Junior Merchandiser and we envisage this will take 24 months.
Alongside the supported Graduate Traineeship Programme, we can offer you knowledge in:
- How to raise and maintain product orders
- How to maintain stock levels
- How to prepare and upload product allocations
- How to identify and understand issues relating to old stock and how to agree action plans with the Merchandiser on how to reduce stock levels
You’ll also be involved in some of the more commercial aspects of the role such as:
- Reviewing and compiling campaign data for your product category
- Understanding what a critical path is and how to maintain one
- Being your categories first point of contact for the front line of our business – our stores
Alongside learning what a good Merchandiser is, you will be issued with a Traineeship guide that will explain what you will be learning and setting out your key milestones. You’ll receive full support from your team, line manager, the in-house Merchandising Academy and you’ll have regular check-in’s to make sure your development is on track.
Where you’ll be working
Our team is based at our Store Support Centre in Leicester, a fantastic modern building and a great working environment. Here we hold parties, summer BBQ’s, quiz nights, summer fun days, charity days, sample sales and many more. Oh, and yes, this is where you will come to work.
What we’re looking for
- Excellent organisation and administration skills combined with the ability and inquisitive mind to problem solve
- A commercial eye for retail and product
- Excellent communication skills – verbal and written
- Strong PC skills including excellent spreadsheet skills (
- Ability to work at pace
- Thrive working as part of a team
Now you’ll start off by applying for the role through our careers website, then from selection you will be called by one of our friendly Resourcing Advisors (we’re going to say that, we’re writing this), for a chat about you, your experience and why you want to work for Dunelm.
Then you’ll go on to be invited to our Recruitment Day that will be held in our Store Support Centre. This will include a 1 to 1 interview, a few tasks relating to the role and a numerical and verbal test (we know these aren’t popular, but unfortunately, it’s got to be done).
If you believe this is the role for you and wish to start a successful career with Dunelm, apply today.