Data Services Placement 2021
At Dyson we demand the highest standard of performance from the technologies we engineer. Our people expect the same from the technology that supports them. We are a community that appreciates and advocates better engineering. A community of pioneers.
Our IT team’s aim is to create robust architecture, to manage data effectively and efficiently and to continue to grow our world-class team. Join us as an intern and from day one, you’ll be tasked with projects to enhance your existing skills and stretch you out of your comfort zone.
We are looking for placement year students, who are able to complete a full-time 12 month internship as part of their degree course, starting August 2021.
About the role
You will be working with the IT Data Services team and will be assigned to a live project putting your skill set into practice from the get-go.
Some of your tasks may include:
- Identifying and analysing data from a diverse set of data sources
- Gathering, extracting and modelling data using analytical and statistical tools
- Supporting and maintaining existing databases
- Capturing clear requirements direct from business stakeholders
- Using best practice design and visualisation techniques to allow users to see and understand their data
- Creating analytical solutions that impress, inspire and become essential tools
- Reviewing and delivering insightful opportunities and recommendations based on analytical solutions
Being comfortable working with data is important but you will also be required to liaise with various parts of the business in order to provide data solutions to teams, meaning that your ability to collaborate and communicate with a range of people is key. You will be passionate about the use of data in order to help the business work towards its aims.
Working with the team and interacting across business stakeholders, you’ll need to be comfortable learning from others, but also sharing your own knowledge, ideas and opinions. Apart from the technical know-how, you will need to be an inquisitive self-starter who is passionate about learning and creative in problem solving. We’ll support you with a development framework designed to help you make the most of your internship.
You’ll be contributing to live projects from the start, so you’ll need to be curious, hungry to learn and ready to get stuck in. But it’s not just about technical expertise. You’ll need to:
- Be studying towards a Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Systems, IT, Mathematics/Data or Social Sciences related discipline
- Able to commit to the full 12 month placement
- Demonstrate your ability to solve problems with an analytical and logical approach
- Be able to evidence your passion for delivering projects, either through your university projects or as part of your co-curricular activities
- Familiarity with SQL, Python and Spark would be advantageous
- Be able to thrive in Dyson's fast-paced environment
Above all, you’ll want to play a key part in bringing the next generation of Dyson technology to the world.
Please note that you should only apply to one internship position as multiple applications will delay the selection process. We will consider you for another internship role should you have the relevant skillset or experience.
- 27 days holiday plus bank holidays
- Performance related bonus and joining bonus
- Free on-site gym and sports centre
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines
- Free on-site parking
- Pension scheme
- Life assurance
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.