Mechanical and Design Engineering Interns and Placement Years
Research, Design and Development (RDD) is Dyson's engine room. It’s where our engineers challenge convention, build, test, fail, refine, and then fail again - all to invent technology that solves problems that others ignore. We’re driven by progress and thrive on the challenge of relentless improvement. We’re growing fast and our ambition is huge – more categories, more locations and more people.
Our New Product Development team takes radical new concepts and works closely with our global engineering and production teams to turn them into machines that are ready to launch. It then develops new ways to test and evaluate performance, to accurately position our technology against our competition.
At our UK Technology Campus, we have opportunities for 3, 6, and 12-month internships starting in the summer of 2021. This is for penultimate year students who are eager to play a key part in bringing the next generation of Dyson technology to the world.
About the role
Join us as an intern and from day one you’ll be expected to hit the ground running on one of Dyson’s many live projects, and the chance to have a meaningful impact on the evolution of Dyson technology. You’ll be working as part of a larger project team and have your own set of project deliverables and the chance to take ownership of how these are achieved.
Some of your tasks could include:
- Developing mechanical parts, assemblies and systems from concept to production.
- Developing and validating mechanical designs that meet specification requirements.
- Conceptualising, developing and detailing ideas for future mechanical parts
- Designing experiments and necessary rigs/fixtures for component and system characterisation and validation.
Working with engineers and scientists/technical experts across a broad range of disciplines, you’ll be comfortable learning from others, but also sharing your own knowledge, ideas and opinions. Through collaboration, teams form complete concept proposals and business cases that can be presented to executive stakeholders, including James and Jake Dyson.
For the duration of your internship, you will have regular performance conversations as well as opportunities for development to enable you to build your reputation within the team, and this could be just the start. We’ll be looking to offer our high performing interns to return on our graduate programme.
Our internships are competitive and delivering the next generation of Dyson technology is tough, so you’ll need to be:
- On track for a 2:1 or above in a Mechanical Engineering discipline.
- Able to evidence how you have applied your technical knowledge to solve problems, either through your university projects or as part of your extra-curricular activities.
- Happy to build your own networks to learn from the technical expertise around you.
- Creative in your approach to problem solving to ensure our machines are better.
- Passionate about Dyson and our technology to help us meet our ambitious future plans
- 27 days holiday plus bank holidays
- Performance related bonus and joining bonus
- Free on-site gym and sports centre
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines
- Free on-site parking
- Pension scheme
- Life assurance