Procurement Placement 2021
Research, Design and Development (RDD) is Dyson's engine room. It’s where our engineers challenge convention, build, test, fail, refine, and then fail again - all to invent technology that solves problems that others ignore.
When you design unconventional and smarter products, you need an unconventional and smarter supply chain. Our Procurement team works across Dyson, supporting our Research Design and Development (RDD) and our business categories. Whichever part of our business you’re supporting, you’ll be playing a vital role in strategic decision making, affecting the very design of our machines and the growth ambitions of the business.
As part of the Direct Procurement team, you will be participating directly in the product development lifecycle, working alongside RDD on secret projects to find new suppliers for advanced materials and technologies. You’ll experience the excitement and challenges of building global supply chains to support the development, production and launch of Dyson’s newest products. The double stacked heater that fits inside the hairdryer body, the lightweight 13-blade impeller which sits inside the Dyson digital motor and the array of magnets to enable the rotating magnetic attachments click on an off during styling are just some of the parts sourced.
The Global Procurement team functions in four main areas – Category Procurement Management (CPM), Global Commodity Management (GCM), Procurement Engineering (PE) and Supply Assurance and Flexibility (SAF).
The Category Procurement Management team is the main point of contact representing Procurement in each Business Category and its projects. We have end to end project responsibility from concept creation to end of product life.
We work with key teams and stakeholders to deliver new projects on time and on cost.
About the role
You’ll be assigned to a live project putting your university learning into practice from the get-go. This is a broad and varied role, meaning no two days are the same. Some of your responsibilities could include:
- Project managing Procurement activity for your project, working closely with our Procurement Engineers and Global Commodity Managers to ensure capable suppliers are involved early in the design phase to accelerate our product development.
- Keeping track of Procurement milestone deliverables to make sure they’re delivered on time and reporting your project status to Operations for project milestone reviews
- Developing robust project sourcing plans and supply strategies to foresee and mitigate any potential supply risks during ramp up and production
- Working with the product cost team, designers, PE’s and GCM’s to drive down component costs to meet the should costs and the project target costs
We’ll support you with a development framework designed to help you make the most of your internship.
Our intern roles are competitive and delivering the next generation of Dyson technology is tough, so you’ll need to be:
- On track for a 2:1 or above and be studying towards an engineering or business-related degree, with an active interest in managing projects
- Able to commit for a 12-month internship and graduating in August 2023
- Have strong numeracy, communication and interpersonal skills, with the confidence to negotiate with and influence internal and external stakeholders
- Familiar with Excel, Tableau, programming and/or database creation tools
- Able to demonstrate how you manage your time effectively and multi-task so experience of a high-pressure, competitive environment would be beneficial
- Able to evidence a strong sense of commercial acumen and an active interest in business, either through your university projects or as part of your co-curricular activities
- Be a proactive problem solver and happy to build your own networks to learn from the technical expertise around you
- Passionate about Dyson and our technology to help us meet our ambitious future plan
Above all, you’ll want to play a key part in bringing the next generation of Dyson technology to the world.
- 27 days holiday plus bank holidays
- Free on-site gym and sports centre
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines
- Free on-site parking
- Pension scheme
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.