Environment & Sustainability Graduate Burgess Hill 2024
Our solutions are a key part of most industries - electronics, medical research, renewable energy, food production, infrastructure and many more. Working with us means working with the latest technologies and groundbreaking, sustainable innovations.
Join us on our journey for a better tomorrow.
Empowering people and enabling solutions for a more sustainable future
Sustainability and tackling climate change is at the forefront of our business and we need forward-thinking socially responsible individuals to support our global sustainability strategy.
In this exciting graduate opportunity you will be supporting and influencing our business to develop, implement and maintain an effective sustainability programme across our engineering and customer facing operations.
If you want to work in a truly global business and have a desire to make a difference through influencing others, we’d love to hear from you!
A place where innovation thrives
We create some of the purest vacuum environments on earth for widescale use in industry and research. We take pride in our globally recognised position as the primary technology partner and supplier of vacuum and environmental solutions that support our customers productivity and environmental targets. Our solutions are integral to manufacturing processes for semiconductors, flat panel displays, LEDs and solar cells. Our caring culture and cutting-edge technology enable us to innovate for a sustainable future, and we believe that passionate people make it happen.
Edwards is one of our key brands within the Vacuum Technique Business Area (VTBA) and is part of the Atlas Copco group. The Sustainability Function covers multiple focus areas and operates as a centrally managed enabling function supporting our six Divisions within VTBA. With around 12,000 employees worldwide across VTBA, we are proud of our state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities in Europe, Asia and North America. One of our greatest strengths is the diversity of our workforce with people of all educational and cultural backgrounds working together. We believe that talent and diversity is the key to success and that everybody should feel valued and able to reach their full potential, both in their development and their contribution to the business.
About our Graduate programme
The Environment and Sustainability programme covers multiple aspects of social responsibility and environmental regulations. You will support the development of our sustainability strategy to ensure the highest levels of environmental operating practices in our manufacturing sites and customer centers. The team’s mission will see VTBA operating to local, national and company standards of environmental management; driving down our absolute greenhouse gas emissions from all aspects of our business over the lifecycle of our products, guided by science; building a culture of organisational and personal responsibility for reducing our impact on the climate; applying technology, products and services that preserve the environment for future generations; and implementing a lifecycle perspective, focused on resource efficiency and reducing pollution to a minimum.
You will be actively involved in
- developing presentations and communications for the business area;
- reviewing and benchmarking industry good practices;
- working within/towards accreditations and frameworks;
- defining best examples and influencing key stakeholders.
As a Graduate you will work at a strategic level as part of our truly global team. You will undertake several rotational placements over a two-year period – this could include an overseas placement and an out-of-function rotation in the business itself. During the programme, you will gain an in-depth appreciation of our business mission and operational practices.
Here you’re empowered to explore opportunities and drive your professional development. As a Graduate you will have access to all the training, learning and assistance you need to become a specialist in your area of expertise.
You will be based in our Vacuum Technique Business Headquarters in Burgess Hill (Sussex), a short journey from the vibrant seaside city of Brighton and Hove. You could also find yourself undertaking a placement in one of our other global sites!
To succeed, you will need
- To be degree educated with a minimum 2.1 degree (or predicted) in a related degree, e.g. Sustainability, Engineering, Business etc.
- To demonstrate passionate about sustainability and the environment.
- The ability to absorb detailed complex information and identify key messages to produce executive summaries.
- To be highly motivated and able to build relationships with key stakeholders internally and externally.
- The ability to influence individuals and teams to achieve desired goals and objectives.
- The ability to work on own initiative with a proactive approach to overcoming obstacles.
- Effective, accurate and professional communication skills, both written and verbal.
- To be highly computer literate with good working knowledge of Microsoft Office packages.
- Highly effective team working skills.
- To have commercial awareness and clear business acumen.
- The willingness to undertake national and international business travel during and beyond the graduate programme, including the possibility of overseas placements.
In return, we offer
- A competitive starting salary of £30,000, discretionary bonus, 25 days holiday plus bank holidays, health cash plan, competitive pension, ride-to-work scheme, electric car scheme, Employee Assistance Programme.
- A robust career development plan, including online learning modules and on the job practical training.
- Early Careers Community forum and a global network.
- Mentoring programme.
- Health and wellbeing initiatives including football, badminton and wellbeing webinars.
- Diversity and inclusion initiatives, including Diversity & Inclusion forum, Neurodiversity and LGBTQ+ employee groups.
- Paid volunteering leave days.
- Continuous support and coaching.