Science and Engineering Innovation Industrial Placement 2021
If you’re passionate about engineering and want to get a head start in your career, then a Year in Industry placement at Edwards could be for you! We’re looking for outstanding students, with questions that go beyond textbooks. The world of vacuum and abatement is full of opportunities and we can’t wait for you to explore it with us.
We create some of the purest vacuum environments on earth for widescale use in industry and research. We take pride in our globally recognised position as the leading technology partner and supplier of vacuum and environmental solutions that support our customers productivity and environmental targets. Our caring culture and cutting-edge technology enable us to innovate for a sustainable future, and we believe that passionate people make it happen.
One of our greatest strengths is the diversity of our workforce with people of all educational and cultural backgrounds working together. We believe that talent and diversity is the key to success and that everybody should feel valued and able to reach their full potential, both in their development and their contribution to the business.
What is our Year in Industry programme all about?
Vacuum is one of the hidden secrets behind many of the products you rely on every day. Edwards’ products enable scientific research, food preservation and the manufacture of smart devices as well as preventing the release of hazardous gases into the environment. It’s a fast-moving market with new applications emerging all the time, so we’re looking for bright, innovative and passionate people to join us.
Our Year in Industry programme provides students who are undertaking a relevant Engineering or Science degree at University the opportunity of working in a global company. You could be working in our labs developing new concepts and innovations for our customers, or researching new breakthrough technologies for our vacuum solutions. It’s an amazing insight into life inside an organisation that is growing and developing at an incredible rate. The programme lasts for 12 months as a paid placement and is an exciting development opportunity in the field of science and engineering innovation. Here you can put the theory you have learnt in an academic environment into a practical application in the workplace.
Upon joining the programme, you will join a specialist team responsible for developing and validating new technologies and strategies for vacuum pumps and the wider business. The work could include technology evaluation, proof of concept solution development, testing and demonstration in the lab, writing test reports, creating procedures, participating in team meetings and supporting engineering activities in the office.
You’ll have regular progress reviews which will give you invaluable developmental feedback line managers, mentors and the University (if applicable). High performing individuals on the Year in Industry placement may be offered a position on the Graduate Programme following their final year at University.
Where would I work?
You will be based in our Global Technology Centre in Burgess Hill, Sussex, a short drive away from the vibrant seaside city of Brighton and Hove.
Day-to-day, as part of our team, you'll be:
- Growing skills and experience in a technical environment enabling you to gain valuable business knowledge and influence and deliver important innovation projects to time and budget.
- Experiencing working within a truly global multidisciplinary organisation.
- Learning vacuum and abatement science and understanding our customers applications.
- Developing new innovative technologies and solutions for deployment in future products.
- Using advanced simulation tools to optimise product design and application solutions.
- Designing, testing and evaluating solutions and making suggestions for improvements.
- Writing technical reports and presenting results to team members and project sponsors.
- Gaining exposure to Intellectual Property, Engineering Processes and Finance disciplines.
You will currently be in your penultimate year of your undergraduate studies at University working towards a degree, achieving an average 2.1 or above, in one of the disciplines below.
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical/Electronics Engineering
- Software Engineering
Desired skills and personal qualities:
- A genuine passion for working in a Scientific/Technical environment, with the ability to work with clients and internal stakeholders.
- a good understanding of principles of mechanical engineering and/or physics and ability to implement them to solve practical problems; or
- a good understanding of general electronics components and circuits.
- Curiosity, creativity and commitment to push the forefront of technology.
- Drive and desire to achieve professional accreditation.
- Good communication skills, with the ability to work effectively as part of a specialist team.
- Ability to apply technical knowledge to analyse problems and develop innovative solutions.