Graduate Technical Services Engineer Sheffield 2021
Egress presents to you a job description with a difference, A first-hand account of the role you are applying for from the people currently doing it.
Who are the Technical Services team and what do they do?
“The Technical Services team interacts with our customers to ensure they can deploy the technology and get maximum value from their investment. We also become a conduit between customers and internal technical teams (Product, Development, QA etc), helping to pass on feedback from the field with regards to what customers want to see in our product roadmap. Ideally, we should be seen by customers as their trusted advisor, both on Egress related matters and other security topics.”
“We’re the bridge between the Development guys and prospective customers. We are responsible for the technical scoping of new deployments, operating POC’s and acting as the technical point of contact for anyone looking to purchase Egress. We listen to customers’ problems and find the best way to quantify the issue, design the solution and prove it’s worth”
“Technical Services especially post-sales are responsible for deploying the product purchased by our customers. We make sure that the customer use cases and requirements are met and that they get the most use out of the product. There is also an element of Account Management and ensuring customers are happy”
“We are ambassadors for Egress and the front line representing the company in front of Customers and prospective Clients. We are also solution providers and help solve problems organisations face around Data security.”
“We solve business issues by helping clients implement our software. We are Subject Matter Experts for our product portfolio.”
Who would suit this role in your team?
“Someone who is deeply technical but brilliant interacting with people and customers. It is a split role which is both deeply technical and customer facing. Someone who is able to build great relationships with people is as important as the strong technical background and knowledge set.”
“Someone technically strong, but also really personable. Pre-sales requires an ability to build relationships and rapport with people really quickly – a natural ability to read different personality types is useful too.”
“I think by far the best quality a candidate can have in Technical services is the ability and desire to learn new technologies every day, there is no single moment really when you have learned enough”
“A people person is a must! Relationship building is very important whether in Pre or Post Sales. A team player is also very important as it is always great when the team can bond together both professionally and socially. Someone who is eager to learn and also someone who is very patient.”
“Someone who has experience implementing any software with customers. Experience in firewalls, applications or system admin/IT Operations are always useful as well as having good soft skills”
What skills will you use in this role?
- Experience of supporting, managing or troubleshooting messaging infrastructure – e.g. Exchange, Office 365, other MTA’s and SMTP
- Experience with Active Directory, packaging tools, Identity Providers (e.g. Azure AD, ADFS) is also useful
- Experience with Windows Server 2012 R2 + as most of our core infrastructure runs on Windows
- Any experience with Linux, Firewalls and PowerShell are all very useful
- Outside of technical knowledge, ideally anyone with a Customer Service background as customer facing skills are so important in the role. Someone energetic, social who likes interacting with people
- A technical background is always useful, particularly someone with some exposure to different parts of the software lifecycle – Development, QA, Support etc.
- Demonstrable experience in being able to quickly learn and adapt to new areas of technology is absolutely key
- Good at forging and maintaining relationships with an unrivalled attention to detail
- Remaining calm under pressure is critical