Strategic Communications Graduate Scheme 2022
About FTI Consulting
What makes us unique? With more than 6,250 employees located in offices in every corner of the globe, we are the firm our clients call when their most important issues are at stake. Regardless of what level you are, you will have the opportunity to work alongside and learn from top experts in your field on high-profile engagements that impact history. Our culture is collaborative, and we value diversity, recognition, development and making a difference in our communities.
What We Do
Our goal is to protect and enhance a client’s reputation and business value. We do through designing and executing tailored, integrated and innovative communication strategies. Our offering ranges from advising our clients on financial results and plc news flow to corporate reputation management, thought leadership, brand building, digital strategy and social media engagement.
We offer a broad base of communication disciplines across a variety of specialist sectors and, increasingly, in cross-sector disciplines. Our sector-based model enables us to have exceptional relationships with influential stakeholder audiences relevant for our clients and industries. Drawing upon our unrivalled depth of industry expertise and interdisciplinary experience and using our broad network of relationships with key influencers, we help clients identify, persuade and ensure that the right message reaches the right audience at the right time. In addition to being the No. 1 global M&A communications advisor, we have one of the largest global networks in the market.
What You Will Do
Our London-based programme will provide graduates the opportunity to rotate through three different cross-sector or segment-based teams. Our cross-sector practices advise clients from all industries on government relations, people and transformation communications, international campaigns and issues management, strategy and research, crisis preparedness and management, special situations and digital strategies. Our sector teams include financial services, retail and consumer, natural resources and energy, real estate and property, industrials, technology media and telecoms and life sciences and healthcare.
By rotating through different expert teams, consultants on our graduate scheme have the chance to gain exposure to an incredibly diverse roster of clients, from fast-growing start-ups and scale-ups to FTSE 100 industry leaders and global corporations. The rotations also give graduates the opportunity to build relationships around the business, and gain a wealth of experience across public affairs, corporate, financial, digital and change communications – providing a unique insight into all your possible career paths within the Strategic Communications practice. Following the rotations, graduates submit their preferred speciality choices which will be considered when they are allocated teams at the end of the programme.
Graduates undertake an extensive training programme from leading industry experts and advisors. This covers everything from press release writing to pitching a journalist to how to interpret a client’s balance sheet. Our unique structure also provides graduates with constant exposure to senior colleagues and client representatives from day one.
When you join the Strategic Communications graduate scheme you will be part of a larger graduate cohort both within the Communications segment and wider FTI Consulting. You will therefore have the support of a strong network around you. There are regular personal development training sessions, networking events and other social activities to get involved in with other graduates.
Types of work you will be involved in:
- Research tasks for existing clients/pitch proposals
- Summary/analytical tasks, gauging audience and communications impact
- Press release writing
- Coverage round-ups and analysis
- Calls with journalists and sell-side analysts – selling in press releases and events or seeking feedback on company results
What We Offer You
FTI Consulting’s Strategic Communications London-based graduate scheme offers you unique experiences that will underpin your career, including:
- The opportunity to explore career paths: Graduates rotate between different industry sector teams, providing a unique insight and overview of all your possible career paths within the Strategic Communications practice. Following the nine months of rotations, graduates are invited to submit their preferred specialty choices which will be considered when allocating teams.
- Extensive training and mentorship: Throughout the programme, graduates undertake an extensive training programme from industry experts and advisors. Our unique structure also provides you with constant exposure to senior colleagues and client representatives from day one.
- Exposure across our diverse business: By rotating through our different teams, you gain exposure to a diverse roster of clients, while experiencing unique situations working with small and large companies. From digital, public affairs, change management, international communications and a range of specialist sector teams – you will gain exposure to all areas of our diverse business.
- Hands on experience: The graduate role provides the opportunity to work with some of the largest companies across the globe. As a graduate you will gain exceptional and varied experience: undertaking media and digital analysis, arranging promotional events, working with journalists and City analysts, and supporting our client account teams in client delivery, thought leadership and new business activities.
- Being part of a cohort: When you join the scheme you will be part of a larger graduate group both within the Communications segment and the wider firm. You will therefore have the support of everyone around you. There are regular personal development training sessions, networking events and other social activities.
There will also be regular learning and development opportunities working alongside advisers in the industry and with specialist client teams. Throughout the scheme you will be supported by your performance coach, a buddy in each of your rotation teams and a mentor who can help support and guide you through your career goals and development, in addition to your Human Resources team.
- A desire to work in Communications and PR
- 2:1 degree (or equivalent) and the equivalent of BBB at A-Level
- Proven interest in working in communications through relevant experience
- Outstanding communication and people skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Strong work ethic
- Creative thinking
- Proactivity and initiative taking
- Enthusiasm for strategic communications
- Ability to demonstrate flexibility
- Proven ability to succinctly grasp and summarise complex issues
Apart from the well-structured career path and excellent team environment, our employees enjoy a variety of perks and benefits.
We offer a competitive benefits and wellbeing programme including private medical insurance, dental insurance, life insurance, income protection, flex critical illness cover, 5% employer pension contribution, holiday buy, discounted gym membership, interest free travel loans, paid volunteer hours and corporate matching for charitable donations, and much more.