Packaging Development Scientist Industrial Placement 2021
Want to solve some of the world’s biggest health challenges?
Put your degree to work here. With over 300 years of innovation behind us, we’re a science-led global healthcare company that delivers billions of innovative products each year. This could be just the start for you and your career.
When consumers use our products, packaging plays a critical role in multiple touch points throughout the life cycle.
- Appealing to the consumer on the retail shelf (or via digital media).
- Delighting the consumer, delivering the ideal product usage experience from the first to final use.
- Able to contain, transport and protect the product.
All whilst providing a sustainable solution against these touch points.
As a Packaging Development Scientist, you are responsible for ensuring these requirements are met, to define, develop & deliver world class packaging for consumer healthcare products.
Within this role you will be supporting the packaging development of Oral Care products, working on:
- Pack-product interactions, barrier performance.
- Modelling & testing to speed up the product development cycle, focusing on product stability prediction, product usage (consumer experience) and scale up (from lab to pilot to full factory scale).
- Benchmarking our competition.
- The sustainability profile of the packaging, to help achieve the GSK Consumer Health goal of 100% recyclable packaging by 2025.
Would you relish the opportunity to support our business to help improve the lives of people globally? Do you want to gain experience in a responsive, innovative, global business? A placement with GSK will give you the practical experience to complement your studies and we are committed to supporting your personal and professional growth.
We have the following opportunity available at GSK Weybridge:
R&D Packaging Development specific: 1 position in Oral Health
- Support multiple project teams to develop new sustainable packaging solutions and improve technical understanding of pack/product interactions.
- Apply consumer understanding, scientific knowledge, and awareness of material science to the packaging development process up to and including product launch.
- Design and carry out experiments to characterise and understand packaging & product performance and consumer usage experience.
- Responsible for the development and implementation of models, methods or processes.
- Interpret and understand data to draw conclusions and identify next steps.
Job related Skills/Background:
- Demonstrates ability to take initiative, think and work independently, problem-solve, work effectively in teams, and multitask.
- Ability to apply scientific principles and techniques to assigned projects.
- Clear communicator in both oral and written form with both internal departments and external organisations.
- Basic understanding of statistics and its application to experimental work.
- An ability to organise and report study data from internal and external sources.
- Flair for creativity and innovation.
- Work cross functionally with internal and external project partners to ensure project success.
- Knowledge in engineering disciplines e.g. chemical / mechanical and or material sciences would be beneficial.
- Knowledge in chemistry disciplines e.g. Organic, Inorganic and Physical chemistry would be beneficial
- Knowledge and/or a passion to understand processes at interfaces e.g. where our products are on contact with a packaging surface.
- Computer literate.
- Must be studying an undergraduate degree in a Chemical, Materials Science, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Pharmaceutical, Foods, Cosmetics or related science degree.
- You will have completed a minimum of 2 years of your undergraduate degree but will not have graduated at the start of your placement. You will be expected to provide evidence from your university to show you will be an undergraduate student for the duration of the placement year.
- The Assessment Centre for successful applicants is expected to take place in February 2021.
- We recruit on an on-going basis and prioritise applications based on the application date.
- Applications will close when we have filled our assessment centre dates.
If you have what we’re looking for apply today!
This opportunity has the following recruitment stages you must successfully pass to be offered a placement year with GSK for 2021!
- Eligibility Form
- Online Assessment
- Application Form
- Assessment Centre