Graduate Silicon Engineer 2021
Founded just over four years ago, Graphcore's growth and impact has been little short of staggering. We believe we're in a unique position as a new wave of machine learning technology begins to emerge. We see a world where technology enhances human potential and takes us into a new era of intelligence and progress that everyone can benefit from.
What we can achieve over the next few years will re-shape businesses around the world.
Graphcore has created a completely new processor, the Intelligence Processing Unit (IPU), specifically designed for artificial intelligence. The IPU’s unique architecture means developers can run current machine learning models orders of magnitude faster. More importantly, it lets AI researchers undertake entirely new types of work, not possible using current technologies, to drive the next great breakthroughs in general machine intelligence.
The Silicon team are responsible for designing the silicon chips produced by Graphcore in leading node technologies and using the latest and greatest EDA Tools.
Over the course of the programme you will undertake three six-month rotations across the following areas:
The Logical design and DFT team; responsible for realising architectural intent in a form that can be physically implemented and subsequently manufacturing level tested.
- In this team you’ll be iterating with Architectural, Verification, Physical & Operations teams to produce RTL as above to schedule.
The Verification team; ensure that our IPU performs in accordance with its specification and that its implementation is similarly accurate.
- You’ll learn modern CPU and ASIC verification methodologies such as constrained random test generation and functional coverage.
The Physical Design team; take the logical RTL and produce final transistor level layout (GDS) ready to send to a foundry for manufacture.
- You will gain experience with modern physical implementation steps including, but not limited to, synthesis, place and route, timing analysis, physical design checks, power integrity, logical equivalence.
- Our designs are in leading edge technology nodes which makes it more interesting and challenging, a very good environment to learn the latest silicon design techniques.
All 3 roles involve using industry standard EDA tools which you will become familiar with.
Graduates at Graphcore
A tailored onboarding and induction programme, will get you up to speed with life at Graphcore, including a deep understanding of how the business operates. During your induction our technical specialists will host knowledge sharing sessions, providing you the opportunity to build your network.
Once in your team, you can expect hands on experience from day one and to make a real contribution. A typical day would involve working closely with peers and your manager to solve challenges as they arise.
You will also benefit from a buddy, mentor and access to talent development team that will support your softer skill development.
We are not looking for an instant expert, but graduates with the hunger to learn, develop and contribute to Graphcore’s ambitious growth plans. You will also be;
- On track or achieved a 2:1 or above in Electronic Engineering, Computer Science or related subject area
- Able to evidence your technical skills such as C++ or Python, for example through hobbies, projects or previous work experience. We are also keen to understand your technical skill level.
- A highly motivated, curious, self-starter, willing to take action, as proven through extra-curricular activities or hobbies beyond your studies
- Strong team-working and excellent interpersonal skills
- Passionate with a keen interest to learn about the exciting new field of AI
In addition to a very competitive salary and share options, you will also have the freedom to make your own choices that work for you, starting with unlimited holiday. You will also have a pension scheme and to support your well-being we provide health insurance, life cover and an employee assistance programme.
Our centrally-located Bristol office provides a well-stocked kitchen with healthy food, drinks and snacks and our very own barista! We have an active social scene too - from cycling, yoga, running and football right through to a board game group.
Hiring process and starting at Graphcore
For the time being, our hiring process has shifted to adapt to the new circumstances. While we love getting to know you in an onsite final stage interview, your interview will now likely take place via video call.
Our Bristol office is open, and employees that wish to work from the office can work safely, adhering to social distancing guidelines. Although we cannot comment at this stage on the working arrangement when you join, we continue to operate a flexible office base.
We welcome people of different backgrounds and experiences and are committed to building an inclusive work environment that makes Graphcore a great home for everyone. We are an equal opportunity employer and want to build a work environment where everyone is happy, productive and respectful, so they can do their best work.
If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, just let us know.