Graduate Quantity Surveyor Birmingham 2024
We are delighted to be accepting applications for our exciting 2024 Graduate Quantity Surveyor role in our Birmingham office to start employment in the summer of 2024.
This role is part of Henry Riley’s Early Career Programme and 2024 will be our most ambitious intake of Early Careers candidates in the history of our business. Demonstrating our ambition for growth and dedication to providing opportunities for the next generation of construction professionals.
This role is targeted at students currently studying their final year of a Degree or Masters course and seeking to start employment as a Quantity Surveyor in the summer of 2024.
Whilst working in the Midlands, you will be responsible for providing support to senior members of staff on an exciting variety of complex projects within the built environment. Including but not limited to projects in the residential, retail and industrial sectors.
The Midlands and Cambridge is the core hub for our pioneering, new Carbon Advisory Services where we work with our clients to provide strategic advice to minimise their development’s carbon footprint.
Henry Riley are at the forefront of providing this increasingly popular service and we are able to provide training courses to employees wanting to become qualified Carbon Advisors. This is a skill which looks set to become increasingly in-demand as the industry adapts to 2050 NET Zero targets.
Duties & responsibilities
Within your role, you will learn and develop your skills across the full spectrum of pre and post contract duties within a consultancy Quantity Surveyor role. Firstly, in a supporting role, but quickly be given the autonomy to fulfil these tasks independently as you develop your knowledge and understanding. Some duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Stakeholder management
- Value engineering
- Tender management
- Contract Administration
- Preparing financial and progress reports
- Cost Planning
- Cost Management
- Administering cost/variation procedures
- Providing Carbon Advisory Services to clients
Pathway to become a Chartered Quantity Surveyor through our APC Programme
Henry Riley are very proud to have an established an industry leading APC Programme which boasts a significantly higher pass-rate than the national average.
Once you feel that you have learnt the core duties of the Quantity Surveying role and feel confident enough in your skills and experience to begin your APC journey, we can provide you with the support you need to complete your APC journey and prepare you for your final assessment. This programme currently has over 40 staff enrolled and seeks to provide each participant with:
- An initial meeting with our APC Programme Leader to discuss how to start you APC journey, the pathway to becoming chartered and set manageable targets.
- A dedicated Councillor to support you through your journey.
- Bi-monthly one-to-one drop-in sessions to discuss and monitor progress.
- Quarterly training sessions where all APC Programme candidates from across the business come together for an interactive workshop, listen to guest speaker(s) and attend a Q&A session.
- Pre-qualification session with your councillor to ensure you are prepared for the final assessment.
We’re looking for individuals who are:
- Currently studying a Degree / Masters course and seeking permanent employment in the summer of 2024.
- Share our values of Passion, Integrity, Ambition and Excellence.
- Have excellent literacy and numeracy skills.
- Confident and an attitude that wants to embrace responsibility.
- Excellent communicators.
- Enjoy working in a team environment.
- Can follow process driven systems and procedures and work well under pressure.
- Have a passion to pursue a career in Quantity Surveying.
- Organised, punctual and generally well prepared to work in a full-time office environment.
How to apply
If you feel as strongly as we do, that Henry Riley can offer you the best start to your career in construction, then we would love to receive your application for this role. We ask that all applications include an up-to-date CV and a Covering Letter which states:
- Which office(s) you would be interested in working from
- The dates which you would be available to work with us
- Why you would like to work for Henry Riley
- Why you feel we should hire you for this role
About Henry Riley
Investors in People accredited since 1998, Henry Riley is a privately owned international property and construction consultancy, who, for the last 130 years have been industry leaders in cost management, project management, health & safety, and digital services.
Our success isn’t solely down to our ability to be visionary, innovative, and forward thinking, but our people who strive to be ambitious, creative, progressive and aspire to make a difference.
Our Vision is to become a more diverse and sustainable business, so we are delighted to learn from our 2021 Diversity & Inclusion survey our people reported we are a great place to work, scoring above our competitors in opportunities for growth, development, and leadership. This sets us in the spotlight for supporting our people with their growth and development in their careers, excellent work life balance and new hybrid working.
High on our agenda and key to our diversity and inclusion targets, is supporting our people’s mental health and wellbeing. To help us achieve this, we have partnered with Mates in Mind who will be in raising awareness of mental health within our business and the construction industry.
As a business we are working hard to actively reduce our carbon footprint and endeavour to undertake all activities in an environmentally responsible manner. We are very proud to have achieved CarbonNeutral® company certification, in accordance with The CarbonNeutral Protocol, the leading global framework for carbon neutrality.
Henry Riley is an Equal Opportunity Employer.