Graduate Engineering Leadership Development Programme 2021
We’re looking for the next generation of high-performing, post-graduate technical talents to take our company forward. This is a management development programme like no other, spanning multiple years and with international exposure and real responsibility from day one.
We’re seeking civil, structural or mechanical engineering graduates with commercial acumen and an interest in an international career. You will have the opportunity to work on some of the UK’s biggest construction projects whilst at the same time receiving world-class training and development to take your career to the next level. As you perform and develop, we will provide the coaching you need to step into a leadership role within Hilti, whether that’s in the UK or internationally.
Who is Hilti?
Unless you work in construction, you probably haven’t heard of us. We’re a hidden gem. We provide leading-edge tools, technologies, software and services for the professional construction sector. Our customers are loyal and enthusiastic about us. So are our people.
We regularly win Great Place to Work awards globally and have been on the Times Top 100 Best Companies to Work For list for the past ten years in the UK.
Hilti offers the best of both worlds –friendly teams locally and roles across the UK combined with the global opportunities only a company of 30,000 people spread across 120 countries can bring.
What does the role involve?
We are offering a multi-year programme where you’ll step out from your area of technical expertise and broaden your skillset, with lots of exposure to senior management. It’s fast paced and challenging, but we’ll closely coach and mentor you. To make you the best leader you can be at Hilti, you need hands-on experience of how we operate, so you’ll spend the first two years learning our business from the ground up, either as a direct sales account manager or a field engineer.
No two days are the same but you’ll spend most of your time visiting our customers, wherever they’re busy working, to find out how we can help them. You could find yourself on construction sites or in offices and warehouses. You need to happy to get your hands dirty as this is a really hands-on job.
You’ll be rolling up your sleeves to demonstrate some of the most pioneering products in the industry, along with all the services and after-care that come with the Hilti name. You’ll be nurturing relationships with warm and responsive customers and helping them find the most innovative and cost-efficient solutions for their needs.
At the same time, you will benefit from close mentoring from a Sales or Marketing Director and will undertake many leadership courses at our award-winning training centre in Manchester to ensure we are preparing you for the demands of a leadership role. You’ll also complete a project with the rest of your cohort along the way.
Once you land in the business after the initial two years your development accelerates – there are opportunities across engineering management, product development and technical marketing, as well as a chance to work abroad if that’s of interest. From there, you will follow your interests to build your career across sales, marketing or engineering, with a defined path to a director role.
93% of our people say they’re proud to work for Hilti, thanks to the quality of our products and the way we look after our people.
What do we offer?
We really value our people and we’ve worked hard to develop a competitive reward package that reflects this. Some of the benefits we offer include:
- Genuine career advancement (more than 80% of all leadership roles are filled internally)
- An assigned mentor to support your career development
- Competitive starting salary and above-average annual bonus
- Private health insurance, employee assistance programme, generous pension scheme and corporate discounts at a huge range of retailers and lifestyle venues
- Company vehicle and fuel card
- 33 days’ holiday (inc. Bank Holidays) plus the ability to purchase an additional 5 days annually, paid leave for personal milestones and a range of flexible working options
- International career opportunities across all functions
We also offer flexible working opportunities, paid leave to work on charitable projects for all employees and a strong commitment to corporate responsibility and sustainability.
Our Head Office is currently based next to Old Trafford but in early 2021 we will move to state of the art new premises at Circle Square in Central Manchester. We will continue to offer free parking for employees and will be located a short walk from Oxford Rd train station and St Peter's Square tram stop.
Why should you apply?
We have an excellent mix of people and we value diversity in our workforce. Success at Hilti is down to teamwork and ability, no matter what your background.
Have a look at the career path of one of our recent graduate hires:
Originally from Cheshire, Alex graduated from Loughborough with a Master’s in Civil Engineering in 2017. Having completed an internship in product management at our global HQ in Liechtenstein and taken a sabbatical to pursue professional sports, Alex joined us as a sales account manager in 2018, based in Cardiff. In his first year, he grew net sales by 15% and was promoted to Key Account Manager in 2020.
What you need
- 2020 or 2021 graduate in Civil, Structural or Mechanical Engineering
- Extracurricular activities (clubs and societies, start-ups, work experience in parallel with study)
- High interest and passion for innovation – you’re an early adopter of technology
- You need to be curious, energised by learning and an instigator of change – you don’t settle for the status quo
- You connect the dots and have excellent problem-solving skills
- You enjoy forming connections with others, building networks and inspiring those around you
- You’re self-motivated and driven to achieve your goals – you’re always challenging yourself to go further
- International outlook and ideally an interest in working abroad (if you speak another language that’s a bonus but English is our business language and the only pre-requisite)