HSBC and you
We are looking for collaborative and dedicated graduates to join our global Graduate Programme who are sociable networkers, diverse thinkers and great team players. At HSBC we are open to diverse ideas and cultures, being connected to our customers, communities and each other, and being dependable. These are the values that guide us every day as we strive to do the right thing for HSBC and our customers. We seek to recruit people who share these values and will help us to sustain them.
Who we are
HSBC is one of the largest banking and financial services organisations in the world. Our global businesses serve more than 40 million customers worldwide through a network that covers 65 countries and territories. We recognise that the talent and diversity of our people are the foundation of our success, and we hire, develop and promote employees based on merit. Our open, supportive and inclusive working environment encourages colleagues to be themselves and achieve their potential. We’re looking for talented people who are committed to helping us build and grow our business by balancing social, environmental and economic considerations in the decisions that they make.
Our network covers both established and emerging markets across Europe, Asia-Pacific, Middle East and North Africa, North America and Latin America. Within these markets, we serve our customers through our global businesses: Commercial Banking, Global Banking and Markets, Global Private Banking, and Retail Banking and Wealth Management which are in turn supported by global functional and operational areas such as Global Technology and Global Operations.
We aim to be one of the world’s leading international banks. We’ll achieve this by recruiting talented students and graduates who share our vision and our values, and can lead us into the future.
More about the Retail Banking and Wealth Management (RBWM) Programme
Our Graduate Programme is structured across 24 months, broken down into four six-month placements across HSBC, first direct and Marks & Spencer’s Bank. The four placements are:
- Get to know how we create banking products and develop propositions for our customers.
- Learn how to create a customer centric culture by taking ownership of customer experience.
- Ensure the fair treatment of our customers is at the heart of everything we do, both personally and as an organisation.
- Understand the background to how we operate as a bank and deliver for our customers through all channels, including digital, audio and face to face.
- Develop people management skills in performance management, motivating, coaching, absence management and fostering open communication.
- Contribute new thinking to improve performance and effectively challenge, inspire and develop others.
- Build professional relationships based on respect and credibility focused on motivation and engagement.
Risk and Governance
- Proactively manage financial and non-financial risks and help promote HSBC's balanced risk culture.
- Build on project management skills, key stakeholder management and understanding of strategic context, whilst developing confidence around senior managers.
You and your career journey
Not only will you gain valuable experience in the different areas within Retail Banking and Wealth Management (RBWM), you will have access to a wealth of training and development opportunities, including support to study for a professional qualification, a graduate buddy, a senior business mentor and a dedicated programme manager. The RBWM Programme offers more than just four placements; you can also shape your graduate scheme by joining:
- HSBC Graduate Committee – The graduate team works collaboratively to organise Development Days and expand the graduate community skill sets.
- HSBC Graduate Attraction Team – You can get involved in visiting universities across the country to attract and recruit top undergraduate talent, while sharing your passion and knowledge of HSBC. This includes but is not limited to Careers Fairs, employability sessions and networking events. You can also assist in the planning and organising of events for the HSBC attraction campaign.
- HSBC GradMag Team – This team exists to inform, promote and celebrate all of the amazing work going on within the graduate community.
- HSBC Graduate Communities Committee - HSBC also have a great focus on charity work, where you may have the opportunity to organise charity events, take part in challenges and even go abroad with the Graduate Communities Committee.
- The Centre of Excellence - This gives you the opportunity to feedback on placements and constantly develop, support and educate graduates.
On completion, there are many different routes your career path could take you and we work with you to develop this. There is no typical route for our RBWM graduates as you have the freedom to choose your own path - but to give you a flavour, our alumni often move into roles in Digital Bank, Banking & Propositions, Wealth & Advice, Customer Value Management, Chief Operating Office or Chief Control Office.
- Based on your current results you must be on track to receive a minimum of a 2:1 degree classification/ 3.2 GPA or higher or overseas equivalent to this
- You must have obtained at least 300 UCAS* points pre September 2017 and 120 post September 2017 in accordance with UCAS tariff changes across your top three A2 Levels or equivalent, excluding General Studies (AS Levels and GCSE are not considered). Or if there were mitigating circumstances that prevented this, you must provide evidence of these.
- The location for this role is UK wide, therefore, you must be able to commit to being nationally mobile and be available to undertake the travel required for this role.
- You can only apply for one HSBC Graduate Programme each year
- By the time of starting employment, successful candidates must have permission to work in the UK for the entirety of the program.