Markets Off-Cycle Internship 2022
The Off-Cycle Internship is a paid, 10-week programme that takes place between March and May 2022 for recent graduates. During the off-cycle internship, you will learn more about the breadth of HSBC on a specialised desk, experience our culture and values, as well as network and engage with some of the best financial minds in their field. If you are successful on this internship, you will be extended an offer to join the Graduate Programme in July 2022.
An Internship within Markets can provide the perfect insight into working in an international bank. Regardless of your degree subject, your skills and motivation could help you develop an exciting career whether that is focused on Sales or Trading.
On our competitively paid internship, you’ll experience life in Markets (Sales and Trading), providing you with a well-rounded idea of what a career in Markets can offer.
- For – Final year students and recent graduates
- Duration – 10 weeks
- Start Date – 7th March 2022
What you can expect
Markets Off-Cycle Internship at HSBC provides Markets requirements to major government, corporate and institutional clients worldwide, uniquely positioned to provide a bridge between emerging and developed markets.
You’ll work alongside industry specialists, learning how the different areas of Markets & Securities Services work together to serve the broad range of needs of our clients. You’ll collaborate with a diverse community of peers who will encourage you to succeed. Our programme of training, delivered through interactive presentations, case studies and workshops, will help you keep up to date with the fast-paced environment of Markets & Securities Services. We look for determination and courageous thinking, and we'll reward your efforts with mutual support and a clear path for your future.
What you will do
After an induction, including tailored technical training, you’ll have the chance to explore your interests in either Sales or Trading.
Our Markets business provides Sales and Trading Services:
- In Sales, you will
- Develop an understanding of different asset classes and product types. You will also learn how the solutions we offer differ depending on client type and needs.
- Understand the importance of both strong external and internal relationships.
- Work closely not only with your Sales colleagues, but also with Trading and Global Research to ensure we deliver the best service to our clients.
- Learn how to formulate views, with the aim that you can present a trade idea by the end of your internship. You will build your communication skills by presenting market views and investment solutions.
- In Trading, you will
- Build your understanding of the various dynamics that drive markets. You will learn the correlations between various factors and get a feeling for what to look out for when trading a particular market.
- Learn about the broad range of products offered within our key asset classes: Foreign Exchange, Emerging Markets Rates and Commodities; Global Debt Markets; Equities; and Securities Financing, and understand why clients trade them.
- Assist in an analytical project or build new tools that support the desk.
- Understand the relationships between Sales, Structuring and Trading, as well as how this works to serve our clients.
Who does this suit?
You will get the opportunity to take great responsibility, while building on your personal and professional skills. We’re looking for:
- Inquisitive minds. You should always be questioning ideas and curious to learn more about our products and services, enabling us to meet our clients’ evolving needs
- Good networkers. We encourage you to work with clients, senior management, peers and our other teams internationally. This means you should be confident when communicating and show courage when presenting
- Opportunity takers. We’re an international company with opportunities around the globe. Jumping at the chance to take on a challenging, yet rewarding project will show you’ve got the motivation to progress to the next level
- Team players. We encourage our people to work together. This means collaborating with colleagues to learn more about our products, asset classes and how to best interact with clients. Being able to work well in a team will help take your career further
Learning and development
We take your learning and development seriously so that you get the most out of your internship. Your time with us will begin with a one-week induction that will give you an overview of HSBC, our business and culture, and how Markets & Securities Services fits into the overall structure. After this, your placement will provide you with a combination of practical experience and classroom training. This will help you to develop your technical skills and give you a detailed insight into our markets.
At the beginning of your internship, you’ll be set measurable objectives and receive feedback throughout the 10 weeks. There will be many people you can call on for support. Your manager will be able to give you guidance on your career options. You’ll be assigned a buddy to share ideas with and who you can call on for advice.
There will be regular business and social events to attend so you can build a network of global contacts, which will prove invaluable to you in the future.
We offer a market-competitive pay and benefits package according to your role and location.
What can this lead to?
Perform well and we'll consider you for our Markets Graduate Programme, where you will be able to complete rotations within your chosen business line. Then you can specialise in an area you are passionate about, working to develop into a future leader in our international and ever-changing bank.