Graduate Trainee Chemist 2021
THG is one of the world's leading online beauty and wellbeing retailers, home to premium brands such as lookfantastic, ESPA, GlossyBox, and Myprotein; all of which are powered by our industry-leading and award-winning technology platform, THG Ingenuity.
Our 10,000+ employees represent 108 nationalities and work in offices located in 11 cities around the globe. Our culture is fast- paced and unique, we recognise great achievements with great rewards. To support our ambitious growth, we are looking for commercially astute, ambitious individuals that can bring fresh and innovative thinking to THG and play a part in driving the Group forward on its truly exciting journey. THG believes in the power of meritocracy. We invest in the development of our people to help everyone achieve their full potential.
About Acheson & Acheson
THG acquired Acheson & Acheson in 2018 to bring full service, product development & manufacturing in-house to supply innovative branded and THG Beauty Brand products to the industry.
- In-house market knowledge & trends
- End-to-end service from idea generation through to manufacturing and launch
- Technical, commercial and production expertise
- Outstanding customer service
About the Role
The position of Graduate Trainee Chemist is intended to facilitate the smooth and efficient running of the laboratory teams. The position provides a foundation in essential aspects of the laboratory environment, providing more in-depth knowledge of formulation development, project management and product scale up into the factory environment. The position requires compliance with company policy including Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) and Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (CoSHH).
Main Duties & Responsibilities
- Assisting the Chemists/Technical Managers in the day to day running of the laboratory.
- Formulating and making formulations and preparing samples for customer evaluation, product stability and compatibility testing.
- Keep up to date with raw material launches and attend supplier meetings regularly.
- Organise and monitor all the required testing including stability sign off.
- Maintain accurate records relating to the development and production of safe and legal cosmetics and personal care formulations.
- Preparing bulks for user trial, clinical efficiency testing, safety testing and any other appropriate purposes.
- Work closely with the Process Chemist and Process department to ensure products are scaled up successfully.
- Organise and oversee pilot batches and relevant factory trials, record and monitor all associated.
- Perform and maintain the COSHH system for raw material safety evaluation.
- Oversee pilot batch and first production, with support of Chemist/Technical Manager if required.
- Demonstrate effectiveness as a member of the Technical Team through consistent professional conduct and role model behaviour.
- Top level Cosmetic Science graduate, looking to start work immediately
- Must be graduating with at least a 2:1
- Must have undertaken a placement year
- Strong interest in Cosmetic Science and working in a Laboratory Environment
- Knowledge and understanding of formulation development, project management and product scale up
- Competitive Salary
- Access to THG Academy, our in-house L&D team
- Structured Graduate Programme offering Leadership and Development training as well as Soft Skills training
- Excellent progression opportunities