Experienced Graduate Structural Engineer Plymouth 2023
We are not able to provide a Skilled Worker visa for this position. You will need to be eligible to work in the UK without our sponsorship to be considered for this role. Please do not apply if you have limited leave to enter or remain in the UK e.g. a visitor visa, a student/graduate visa or an employer-sponsored visa from a previous employer.
Looking to accelerate your career or wanting a career change?
Here’s a fantastic opportunity to join our progressive, award-winning Civil and Structural Engineering team delivering sustainable projects for our communities, planet and society.
We are looking for graduates with 1-3 years experience, with a passion for the built environment, and the desire to work in a highly collaborative multi-disciplinary team focused on sustainability, technical excellence and shaping construction in the UK and overseas.
You will be developing your technical skills through taking on a variety of complex projects as well as being supported in the development of your softer skills through our early careers learning and development program: ‘The Learning Curve’.
What will you learn with us
- Project work at concept and scheme design, modelling, detailed design and specification and drawing
- Preparation of reports, providing advice and guidance to clients and project teams
- Undertaking STEM engagement activities
- Liaising with internal and external team members, developing relationships and people skills
- Managing your own workload to meet project deadlines
- Engaging with the wider C&S division, the Technical leadership Team and Carbon Task Force to exchange best practice and processes and support on-going initiatives
- Arranging and attending meetings, taking minutes and distributing actions
- Attending and contributing to project team meetings
- Attending site to undertake inspections and walkovers
- Developing commercial awareness by assisting with preparation of proposals/tenders for new work
What you will need to succeed?
- A relevant degree, BEng (Hons) or BSc (Hons) or equivalent/higher.
- 1-3 years of experience within the industry
- Humility, self-motivation and enthusiasm.
- Excellent communication, presentation and written skills.
- To buy into Hydrock’s values and ethos
We are also keen to know if you can offer any of these attributes
- Sustainable urban drainage, biodiversity net gain, flood risk and nutrient neutrality knowledge, or an interest in these fields
- Digital engineering skills, including coding experience related to design automation or other digitisation improvements.
- Additional languages that you are fluent or able to apply professionally, as well as English
- Relevant under or post graduate industry experience
- Experience of relevant software tools e.g. AutoCAD, WinDES, PDS, Civil 3D, Infodrainage
- Full UK Driving Licence
- Student or Graduate Membership with the ICE and/or IStructE
What's great about Hydrock 'in a nutshell'
We are a British-owned integrated multi-disciplinary engineering consultancy of over 900 staff in 21 offices across the UK. Our driving motivation is to be a ‘force for good’, as it is our aim to positively contribute to people’s lives including our employees, communities we work in, clients we work with and our planet as a whole.
From the buildings that surround you, the roads and bridges you cross, all related to the infrastructure that we create, we aim to offer the most sustainable possibilities to shape the places, communities and society that we live in through meeting our client’s needs. Through the path we are on to delivering a green future, the result is something that everyone can be proud of.
Our welcoming and friendly culture is something we are proud of and has gained us recognition with 9 years in the Top 100 Best Companies to Work For list. One of our incredible sustainable projects include regenerating a brownfield site to a residential development at Castle Park View. Other notable projects include UWE’s Faculty of Engineering and Design making two wins at the British Construction Industry Award in 2021 and UK Hydrographic Office Taunton winning multiple awards in the same year!
What we can offer
- Inspiring and supportive colleagues
- Reward for progression and hard work
- An opportunity to develop your soft skills on “The Learning Curve” program
- Competitive starting salary
- Excellent health benefits
- 25 days of holiday (buy/sell up to five days)
- An earlier finish on Friday (4pm!)
- An opportunity to give back: “Day off for good cause” (on a workday)
- A huge range of flexible benefits
- Our biggest event of the year: Annual Challenge Day!
A place to feel included
We champion diversity, equity and inclusion. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we commit to supporting our employees and ensure we create a safe environment that nurtures you to perform at your best. Offering our people flexibility is an important factor in achieving this aim!
We consider all applications individually with the required qualifications and knowledge without regard to any of the protected characteristics. We would like to provide everyone with a fair selection, assessment and employment experience so we ask that we are made aware of any physical or neurodiverse condition within your application, for which appropriate reasonable adjustments can be made by us.
Looking for the next steps?
- Once you have completed your application through our careers site, we will be in touch with you as soon as we’ve considered your application alongside others for this role.
- Typically, this can take several weeks so if you haven't heard back from us, not to worry, your application is still actively being considered!
- With the high volume of applications, we are unable to provide ad hoc updates on the progress of applications. However, we will contact you when decisions have been made.