Associate Graduate Technology Specialist 2021
The IBM Client Innovation Centre (CIC) is an innovative and exciting part of IBM. We are responsible for leading technical delivery as part of IBM Global Business Services’ engagements with clients in the UK. We continually innovate for our customers, employees and shareholders. Our Technical Skills range from Application Development (Java, Front End, Full Stack, DevOps), Cloud Services and Data Engineering through Testing Services to Infrastructure Support. We support the latest technologies and work in wide-ranging project environments.
About the Role
We’re looking for passionate, original thinkers who want to drive progress, grow their network and further their careers. If you see yourself as someone who never stops learning, who believes no problem is too big to solve, and who wants to unleash your potential, IBM Services is for you. We have a range of opportunities and flexible career paths, so whether you start as a developer, tester or working with cloud infrastructure you can develop your career with us. You will be aligned to a technical practice where you can develop your skills and experience as part of a professional community.
To meet the needs of our clients’ evolving technical and business needs, you will complete an Associate training program incorporating a blended e-learning, classroom and practical learning approach in technologies used by the IBM Client Innovation Centres, ensuring you will soon be ready to join a client project. Your technical training will be matched to support you in your first technical assignment and will cover areas applicable to your role such as: Development, Testing, DevOps and Cloud, including Red Hat, OpenShift, IBM Cloud and AWS, Data Engineering, AI and leading enterprise applications.
Your Role and Responsibilities
- Design, develop and test a new, modern cloud-native application or support a legacy application, with code management, troubleshooting and tuning.
- Translate software requirements into working and maintainable solutions within new or existing application frameworks, working closely with clients and IBM teams.
- Maintain and improve code quality, enabling reusability and automatization of services – from applications through to cloud infrastructure.
- Create Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) to support communication between systems, using API gateways and event services.
- Automate testing and supporting Continuous Integration and Development pipelines, including implementing security operations tooling.
- Implement data engineering and warehouse services on Cloud.
- Configure enterprise applications to support new innovative client services
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
Required education: STEM subject degree with a 2:1 or higher
We are looking for people who have experience in several of the following areas
- Strong interpersonal skills, written and verbal communication skills
- Familiar with build and continuous integration tools like Maven, Jenkins, Gradle
- Familiar with database development on platform like PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle
- Familiar with Java/JEE best practices around design patterns, performance tuning, automated tests and unit tests
- Exposure to writing RESTful APIs using Microservices architecture and Spring Boot framework
- Exposure to deploying applications with container technology like Docker and container orchestration technology like Kubernetes or RedHat OpenShift
- Familiar with twelve-factor cloud design principles
- Ability to thrive in an ever-changing, technology-based consulting environment, using agile development techniques
As an equal opportunities employer, we welcome applications from individuals of all backgrounds. However, in order for you to be eligible for this role, all applicants must hold British Nationality, UK work permit or visa valid for a two-year period prior to applying along with at least 5 years UK residency and preferably 10 years.