Design Industrial Placement 2021
At IBM, work is more than a job - it's a calling: To build. To design. To code. To consult. To think along with clients and sell. To make markets. To invent. To collaborate. Not just to do something better, but to attempt things you've never thought possible. Are you ready to lead in this new era of technology and solve some of the world's most challenging problems? If so, lets talk.
Your Role and Responsibilities
Please ensure you have a link to your portfolio for further on down the application process! This initial stage you will just be asked for a CV. Please do not apply if you do not have a portiolo. This opportunity will close once we reach capacity so please be aware this role may close quickly.
To us, being a design intern in IBM iX is just as much about learning as it is about working (and also quite a lot about having fun and trying new things). We have opportunities for designers who want to spend time learning about UX design, Visual design or Service design, and even people who want to do a bit of all three.
There are several stages of the recruitment process:
- You will be asked to provide your CV and some information about your studies and eligibility to work in the UK.
- You will be sent a link for an online test, called Cognify where you’ll solve puzzles and helps us to understand how you solve problems. You’ll have 48 hours to do this test, so make sure you don’t miss the deadline!
- If you passed the Cognify test, you will be asked to provide a link to your portfolio and submit a written application form telling us about yourself and why you want to spend your placement with IBM iX as a design intern.
- We review all the applications, and if you are successful you will be invited to a virtual assessment centre planned week commencing 1st March 2021. This part of the application journey focuses more on your soft skills, like team working, communication, time management etc.
- Following the virtual assessment centre, you may be asked to schedule a portfolio review and design interview, with a designer in IBM iX (virtual) where you can talk more about your design experience, methods and examples of your work.
- Finally, if you make it all the way to the end, you’ll start with us in Summer 2021!
We have design placements available focussing on UX Design, Service Design and Visual Design. You don’t need specify which design speciality you’d like to be considered for, but if you do have a preference please tell us in your application form. If you don’t have a preference don’t worry, this won’t affect your chances.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Undertaken two years at University, require a year in industry and then will return to University for your final year.
- Require a third year in industry as part of your University Course
- Eligible to work in the UK for the whole placement
- Enthusiastic - you do need need a specific degree background to apply but we do ask you have plenty of energy and passion for the area you are applying for!
About Business Unit
On an IBM University Placement you will be working in an innovative, creative and exciting working environment. Some of the major industries IBM work in are Banking, Healthcare, Retail and Telecommunications Media & Entertainment. These are just a few of the exciting business areas of IBM which you may work in as a University Placement Student.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.