Graduate Data Consultant 2021
We believe in ‘Technology for Good’ – in improving lives through education and research. Our passionate team of people want to make a social impact and challenge conventional thinking as they work on cutting-edge, emerging technologies and solutions – the kind you won’t find anywhere else.
A place of openness and inclusivity, here we don’t just execute – we have the creative freedom and support to ideate, build and see our impact on an entire collective. No pigeonholes or boxes, we believe great ideas come from everywhere and we’re all driven to live up to our leading reputation.
Not only do we have the opportunity to work at the highest level, but on meaningful projects too. That’s why we look for brave risk-takers – those who are always thinking one step ahead to power our organisation forward, and realise our digital vision.
We know that sometimes people can be put off applying for a job if they think they can’t tick every box. But we realise the ‘perfect candidate’ doesn’t exist. If you're excited about working for us and can do most of what we are looking for, go ahead and apply. You could be exactly what we need!
- Qualified to degree level with experience of using data during your studies
- Experience of working with groups and individuals to understand their aims, needs, current position and other relevant information and identify tailored solutions.
- Experience in applying business intelligence solutions to solve problems
- Experience in manipulating/ querying databases ideally using SQL
- Experience of manipulating and/or analysing complex data
- Customer facing experience
- Ability to synthesise data and develop meaningful conclusions and (predictive) insights
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced, growth environment and comfortable with juggling different projects at the same time
- Methodical and accurate working processes with a high level of attention to detail
- Excellent oral, written communication and inter-personal skills with a strong professional ethic when dealing with customers
- Able to negotiate and resolve conflicting priorities
- Ability to make sound decisions fast and work in a high paced, high pressure environment
About the role
Jisc are developing a range of services within the Business Intelligence space. These are now being transitioned to full Jisc services within the Data Analytics Directorate, and this role will be part of the team delivering the service as it expands. Areas of development include a business intelligence consultancy offering, Tailored Datasets, Heidi Plus and Interactive insights.
The purpose of this role is to work as part of the data consultancy team, to build extensive data knowledge and apply this to provide advice, guidance, support and consultancy to our customers. This may include written reports, the delivery of on-site consultancy through workshops and using the latest visualisation techniques.
Responsibilities will be expected to be developed and finalised over time and will include but will not be restricted to:
- Contribute to numerous pieces of work, offering specialist advice and expertise to customers and ensuring the analyst team have the specifications and steer to meet Tailored dataset customer requirements.
- Build strong relationships with customers to ensure service delivery is effective.
- Resolve queries and issues raised by customers, escalating as appropriate in order to ensure an effective response is delivered.
- Specify and create specialist data reports in order to ensure the Consultancy customers’ requirements are met. Using the latest visualisation techniques (when required) by developing an advanced technical knowledge of the data streams and the techniques required to extract and prepare it.
- Peer review (including but not limited to) specifications, contractual terms, reports and data visualisations.
- Testing, manipulating and quality assuring data using the appropriate tools.
- Delivery of data intelligence consultancy services to FE, HE, research and commercial customers.
- Complete and use the CRM correctly.
- Use of analytics tools (e.g. Tableau) to generate data visualisations for use in reports, data products and in the customer service delivery.
- Contribute data-intelligence to projects with a customer acquisition objective
- Develop subject matter knowledge of the various data sources, including but not confined to: HE, FE and research data.
- Deliver projects and services in accordance with processes and procedures across Consultancy and Analysts area.
Why work at Jisc
We want to make sure our people have the flexibility they need to balance their personal lives and do well at work. So, we focus on outputs rather than presenteeism and are open to a whole range of ways of working including flexible hours and working from home where possible.
We are always learning and developing. All our people have access to a huge variety of learning resources to help them achieve this.
Our benefits are great too:
- We offer 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays and 3 days Christmas closure)
- Simply health – a health cash plan
- You have the option to join the generous USS pension scheme
- We provide discounts on IT equipment, a cycle to work scheme and season ticket loans
- We also offer generous parental leave arrangements, career breaks and volunteer leave
Connecting with each other is a doddle, thanks to our technology, but getting face to face is something we value and is essential in this role, so you will need to travel. Our main offices are in Bristol, Harwell, London and Manchester.
Other stuff you need to know
At Jisc we celebrate diversity and know that it is critical for our success. We work hard to make sure we’re inclusive. So, if you are great at what you do and share our values, we want to hear from you.
If you need any adjustments made to the application or selection process so you can do your best, let us know. We will be happy to help.