Graduate Instrument Control Engineer Leatherhead 2024
KBR’s global business comprises two main segments – Sustainable Technology Solutions (STS) and Government Solutions (GS). This role sits within STS in the Integrated Solutions business unit. Integrated Solutions is the engineering and project delivery group providing services which include front-end and detailed engineering, procurement, construction services, and program management primarily in the hydrocarbons and energy transition industries.
Under direct supervision, independently evaluates, selects, and applies standard engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria, using judgment in making minor adaptations and modifications. With additional experience within one functional area, assists in the design of larger and more complex assignments which involve conventional types of plans, investigations, and surveys with relatively few complex features for which there are precedents. Job tasks, correctly performed, impact indirectly cost containment, efficiency, profitability or operations. Skills are typically acquired through an undergraduate degree in Engineering.
This is a great opportunity for highly motivated Automation engineering students to gain experience at a truly global enterprise and a world leader in engineering and sustainable solutions. By joining KBR as a graduate, you will be gaining valuable automation engineering experience in traditional oil and gas projects and sustainable energy projects such as Hydrogen and Carbon Capture, Utilisation, and Storage (CCUS). You will receive high-quality supervision, training, and the support needed to enable you to contribute to the best of your ability to the different projects and studies you will get involved. At KBR, you will get the opportunity to work alongside some of the best automation engineering minds in the industry and develop skills that will further your career in engineering.
- Working in a project-based environment under the supervision of senior KBR staff to contribute to and assist in:
- Designing process automation systems and producing project deliverables
- Producing simple calculations for the design, viz. intrinsically safe calculations, flow meter sizing calculations etc.
- Preparing of instrumentation database.
- Producing pressure, flow, level, and temperature measuring instrument datasheet.
- Developing instrument level setting diagram
- Developing control system block diagram, I/O list etc.
- Preparing purchase requisitions for various instrumentation items.
- FEED (Front-end Engineering Design) studies
- Writing technical reports and articles
Qualifications, skills, and qualities:
- Good understanding of the basic principles of various transducers and selection in process application
- Good understanding of the basic principles of process control, e.g., PID control, Feed Forward control, Lead / Lag control, Ratio control, Cascade control, Three element control etc.
- Genuinely motivated to work in the process industries with traditional oil and gas projects as well as moving into the energy transition business with the aim to make a difference.
- High motivation and a strong desire to excel in automation engineering.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Ability to extract relevant technical information and data from the literature.
- Ability to see the bigger picture as well as attention to detail.
- Self-motivated and good communication skills to enable effective team working.
- Familiarity with the concepts such as energy transition, net zero, and carbon capture
- Familiarity with automation applications in oil and gas separation and processing facilities
- General understanding of object-oriented programming techniques used in process control systems.
- Good report writing and presentation skills.
- MSc/MEng degree in Automation Engineering or Chemical Engineering with Process Control or equivalent.
- Right to work in the UK.
When you become part of the KBR team, your opportunities are endless. Through collaboration with our customers, we’re defining tomorrow’s challenges, then providing the solutions and services to overcome those challenges, always maintaining our commitment to total safety and reliability.
At KBR, we partner with government and industry clients to provide purposeful and comprehensive solutions with an emphasis on efficiency and safety. With a full portfolio of services, proprietary technologies and expertise, our employees are ready to handle projects and missions throughout their entire lifecycle, from planning and design to sustainability and maintenance. Whether at the bottom of the ocean or in outer space, our clients trust us to deliver the impossible on a daily basis.
Working at KBR means being rewarded for your contributions. In addition to competitive benefits and professional development, our people are empowered to use all their potential, creating meaningful change for themselves and our clients. We attract the best minds in the world because our expertise thrives on creativity, resourcefulness and collaboration. That is how we supply our clients with cutting-edge solutions and services.
As the needs of the world change, we’re ready to respond and guide the way forward with strategic, sustainable, and technological advancements grounded in more than a century of practical application and execution.