About the Programme
The largest of our UK practices, Audit develops a deep understanding of organisations and helps to assure stakeholders that the published annual accounts are a 'true and fair' reflection of their financial performance.
With the ever-changing technological landscape, audit is evolving. Through the use of our innovative collaboration and analytics tool, KPMG Clara, we are able to get under the skin of our clients’ business and provide them with not just an audit opinion, but added value and insight. At KPMG we are at the forefront of developing technology to enable us to deliver a world-class audit. This will continue to evolve, with advancing technology such as artificial intelligence becoming part of the day-to-day audit.
As a graduate, you'll gain a breadth of expertise and experience in audit. A strong start to a successful career in business, you’ll be equipped with valuable technical skills, broad commercial understanding and in-depth knowledge of different industry sectors.
Within audit, we also have a large and growing internal client base and perform work on wider assurance engagements for a number of our clients. Graduates joining the Audit Programme will have the chance to work in a specific business area whilst studying towards a valuable professional qualification.
If you’re a Mandarin speaker, we can offer you an additional opportunity. As part of the Audit Graduate Programme, you'll have the chance to gain experience in the UK and work with KPMG in China after you qualify too. With increasing importance to the global economy, clients and our business, KPMG has an established and successful member firm in China with 13 offices and more than 9,000 employees. It’s a chance to play an important role in KPMG China’s strategy and to further strengthen teams, client relationships and local market position.
In addition, you will need to be able and willing to be based in either the UK or China once qualified, depending on the needs of the business. (You will initially be based in the UK for the duration of the three-year Graduate Programme).
Key Skills Required
- Works cooperatively and can build positive, constructive business relationships.
- Takes accountability for delivering high quality, accurate work.
- Self-motivated and organises own workload to ensure effective delivery of engagements/projects.
- Strives for continual improvement.
- Business curiosity that encompasses the use of data.
- Forward thinking and ready to embrace change and technological advancements in how you think, problem solve and approach tasks.
- Must be able to demonstrate fluency in both English and Mandarin.
What are we looking for you to show us?
During the recruitment process, you will need to demonstrate KPMG's Global Behavioural Capabilities which will give us the confidence that you’ll be successful in the firm. By this, we mean the skills and behaviours that every person here at KPMG shares. To us, ‘behaviours’ are more than the way you act – they represent the set of values that underpin our business.
KPMG's Global Behavioural Capabilities are:
- Career Motivation.
- Delivers Quality.
- Drives Collaboration and Inclusion.
- Strives for Continual Improvement.
- Exercises Professional Judgement.
- Makes an Impact.
- Seizes Business Opportunities.
- Demonstrates Innovation and Curiosity.
Further information on these behaviours can be found at www.kpmgcareers.co.uk/behaviouralcapabilities
What your job will involve?
In general terms your role will involve:
- Proactively looking to become an integral part of the audit team, creating good contacts and developing relationships with client finance teams and wider business.
- Owning assigned work (a mixture of substantive and controls) over non-significant audit areas.
- Assisting more senior members of the team in the audit of significant audit areas.
- Driving the use and development of technology across audit.
- Seeking to embed technology and data analytics in the audit process.
- Participating in social and networking events to develop your knowledge and contacts within KPMG.
- Undertaking strategic projects & roles working with Chinese clients.
- After attending an orientation programme you will join one of KPMG in China key offices at the end of your third year (once qualified) for a 6-12 month secondment.
Your Training and Development
In addition to your role and responsibilities we will support you to gain the Associate of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ACA) qualification.
KPMG is dedicated to ensuring you have the best chance of passing your exams, and therefore has a dedicated Professional Qualification Training and Accreditation team whose focus is to ensure that each KPMG trainee fulfils their potential. We are extremely confident and proud of both our ACA and CA products, as they create both a supportive and inclusive learning environment for all.
By joining KPMG you'll be joining a long list of graduates who've already excelled in their professional exams. The fact that KPMG trainees consistently outperform Institute pass marks and continue to complete their qualification within their three-year training contract is a real testament to our people and the quality of our training.
Skills you gain in audit mean that you are marketable. KPMG has already invested in developing programmes for qualified individuals, meaning that is it now easier than ever to move around the firm and/or gain development opportunities.
Post qualification, your personal and professional training will continue, together with opportunities to work across the wider firm.
What do we look for?
Within our recruitment process, we look for more than just your academic results. This wider perspective helps us ensure that we are giving you the best opportunity to demonstrate your potential. We assess your application against KPMG’s Global Behavioural Capabilities and a number of other metrics, including technical background and/or experience, to build our confidence in whether you will be a success at KPMG.
As a general rule, you'll be expected to meet the following requirements:
- Minimum grade B GCSE* Maths.
- Minimum grade B GCSE* English Language.
- Minimum of 300 UCAS Tariff points*
- Minimum 2:1 degree in any discipline.
* or equivalent
In addition, you will need to be:
- Fluent in both English and Mandarin;
- Able and willing to be based in either the UK or China once qualified, depending on the needs of the business. (You will initially be based in the UK for the duration of the three-year Graduate Programme).
Please note that we only consider a candidate's top 3 A-level grades and do not accept General Studies.
- Salary is competitive.
Your KPMG experience
At KPMG, your long-term future is every bit as important to us as it is to you. That’s why our aim is to give you experiences that will stay with you for a lifetime. Whether it’s great training and development, the chance to move around the business or volunteering opportunities, you’ll gain a wealth of experiences on which to build a rewarding career. We’re proud of our culture – it’s one that recognises hard work, encourages new ways of thinking and embraces diversity and inclusion. We also have an innovative spirit which inspires what we do and how we do it – striving to be better lies at the heart of who we are.
We’re at our best when you’re at your best – that’s why we’ve created ‘Our Deal’ and ‘The Academy’. They’re our way of recognising and rewarding our colleagues for giving their best at work. Through ‘The Academy’, you’ll have access to communities which will support and develop you so that you build your skills and career. From secondment programmes and preferential banking to cash towards student loan payments and your birthday off, we’re making sure that our people have an amazing experience.
Applying with a Disability
KPMG are proud to be an inclusive, equal opportunity employer and we seek to attract and retain the best people from the widest possible talent pool. As a member of The Employers’ Forum on Disability we’re committed to ensuring that all candidates are treated fairly throughout the Recruitment Process. Should you be successful after the initial application stage, please discuss with your recruitment contact any reasonable adjustments to our Recruitment Process that you may require.
KPMG’s commitment to diversity:
KPMG consistently features in the Sunday Times Best Big Companies to work for, which has been recognised with a special achievement award to mark our 10 years in the Top 25. We pride ourselves on being a place where your individuality is valued; you can be yourself and still achieve your potential. We believe that your individuality helps us to deliver the best results to our clients. Diversity of background, diversity of experience, diversity of perspective - that's the KPMG difference. But, don't take our word for it, find out more about diversity at KPMG here.