About the Programme
KPMG's Tax practice is a dynamic and successful area of our business. The Tax team works with a wide range of organisations and individuals, helping them to implement the tax approach that suit their needs. A constantly changing and increasingly high-profile field, Tax can offer a surprisingly broad range of quality career paths to ambitious people.
The Tax - Capital Allowances Advisory Services team includes a combination of surveyors, tax professionals and accountants who assist clients in increasing the tax relief available on their capital investments by:
- Applying legislation, case law and HMRC guidance to advise on the technical basis to claim capital allowances.
- Carrying out site surveys to identify qualifying assets.
- Liaising with property teams, contractors and external consultants to obtain relevant cost information.
- Conducting valuation estimates where cost information is incomplete.
- Advising on how the changing legislation effects the transfer of allowances following a sale (transaction due diligence).
- Advising on ad-hoc queries both from clients and other internal KPMG teams.
- Producing capital allowances claim documents to submit to HMRC alongside the tax return.
- Negotiating and agreeing claims with HM Revenue and Customs.
We work with clients across all lines of business where capital investment is crucial, such as real estate, retail, hotels and infrastructure.
What your job will involve?
- Working collaboratively, assisting with the delivery of client engagements.
- Keeping documentation up to date.
- Sharing knowledge.
- Preparing capital allowance claims for submission to HM Revenue & Customs.
- Assisting management in the preparation of proposals.
- Assisting in the preparation of technical queries from other parts of the firm.
Key Skills Required
- Shows a keen interest in the real estate and construction industry.
- Communicates with impact, both with external advisors and clients, in a way that is open, honest, consistent and clear.
- Takes personal responsibility and accountability for own work.
- Shows enthusiasm and a positive attitude when coping with pressure at work.
- Continuously learns from experiences.
- Works in a cooperative, respectful manner with colleagues, clients and the wider community.
- Analyses problems, identifies core issues, investigates, evaluates and integrates information.
What are we looking for you to show us?
During the recruitment process, you will need to demonstrate KPMG's Global Behavioural Capabilities, which will give us confidence you’ll be successful in the firm. By this, we mean the skills and behaviours that every person here at KPMG shares. To us, ‘behaviours’ are more than the way you act – they represent the set of values that underpin our business.
KPMG's Global Behavioural Capabilities are:
- Career Motivation.
- Delivers Quality.
- Drives Collaboration and Inclusion
- Strives for Continual Improvement.
- Exercises Professional Judgement.
- Makes an Impact.
- Seizes Business Opportunities.
- Demonstrates Innovation and Curiosity.
Further information on these behaviours can be found at www.kpmgcareers.co.uk/behaviouralcapabilities
What do we look for?
Within our recruitment process, we look for more than just your academic results. This wider perspective helps us ensure that we are giving you the best opportunity to demonstrate your potential. We assess your application against KPMG’s Global Behavioural Capabilities and a number of other metrics to build our confidence in whether you will be a success at KPMG.
As a general rule, you'll be expected to meet the following requirements:
- Minimum grade B GCSE* Maths.
- Minimum grade B GCSE* English Language.
- Minimum of 300 UCAS Tariff points*
- On track to achieve minimum 2:1.
- Ideally work experience in the construction or property industry.
* or equivalent.
Please note that we only consider a candidate's 'top' 3 A-level grades and do not accept General Studies.
Your KPMG experience
At KPMG, your long-term future is every bit as important to us as it is to you. That’s why our aim is to give you experiences that will stay with you for a lifetime. Whether it’s great training and development, the chance to move around the business or volunteering opportunities – you’ll gain a wealth of experiences on which to build a rewarding career. We’re proud of our culture – it’s one that recognises hard work, encourages new ways of thinking and embraces diversity and inclusion. We also have an innovative spirit which inspires what we do and how we do it – striving to be better lies at the heart of who we are.
We’re at our best when you’re at your best – that’s why we’ve created ‘Our Deal’ and ‘The Academy’. They’re our way of recognising and rewarding our colleagues for giving their best at work. Through ‘The Academy’, you’ll have access to communities which will support and develop you so that you build your skills and career. From secondment programmes and preferential banking to cash towards student loan payments and your birthday off, we’re making sure that our people have an amazing experience.
Applying with a Disability
KPMG are proud to be an inclusive, equal opportunity employer and we seek to attract and retain the best people from the widest possible talent pool. As a member of The Employers’ Forum on Disability we’re committed to ensuring that all candidates are treated fairly throughout the Recruitment Process. Should you be successful after the initial application stage, please discuss with your recruitment contact any reasonable adjustments to our Recruitment Process that you may require.
KPMG’s commitment to diversity:
KPMG consistently features in the Sunday Times Best Big Companies to work for, which has been recognised with a special achievement award to mark our 10 years in the Top 25. We pride ourselves on being a place where your individuality is valued; you can be yourself and still achieve your potential. We believe that your individuality helps us to deliver the best results to our clients. Diversity of background, diversity of experience, diversity of perspective - that's the KPMG difference. But, don't take our word for it, find out more about diversity at KPMG here.