Building Surveying (Consult - Local Government Sector) Graduate Programme Winchester September 2024
At Mace, we’re global experts in shaping the built environment – helping to lead the way to a more connected, resilient and sustainable world. From development and consultancy, to construction and operations, we connect expertise across the entire property lifecycle to help our clients, people, communities and society achieve more than they believe is possible.
This role starts in early September 2024, and is based in Winchester in the Local Government sector within our Consult engine.
Delivering for everyone, everywhere. The work of government never stands still: changing requirements necessitates adaptation and evolution. And so too, their estates. The public sector faces many challenges when delivering projects and programmes for the communities they serve. From building homes to modernising leisure facilities there are tight timescales. Pressed budgets. Constantly changing political priorities.
Our team provides a range of services to both public and private sector regeneration clients, from project managing large programmes of work for social housing providers, to scheme design and placemaking. And our development team are specialists in initiating and bringing forward new schemes, working in partnership with investors and stakeholders to create vibrant new communities.
In our Consult engine, you’ll be part of a global think tank where innovation and sustainability take the lead. We collaborate closely with clients to understand their individual challenges, lending new ideas and fresh thinking to make strategic decisions and shape project directions. We will follow our clients where they work, often sharing their locations. Whilst we visit projects and sites, Consult is more about delivery of creative solutions than hardhats. If on-site action speaks to you more, our Construct engine might be your scene – check out the hands-on roles we have there, where you’ll be turning plans into reality on the ground.
What you’ll do
In Building Surveying, you will play a key role in assisting with the delivery of professional building surveying services, developing working knowledge to inspect building fabric systems for the purposes of asset management reporting and construction project delivery. Some of your main responsibilities will include:
- Assisting with building surveys for various building types for assessment, defect identification and diagnosis and project monitoring
- Contributing to the preparation of reports to meet the client's scopes of services
- Supporting the preparation of reports, specifications and contractual documents to assist with the management of construction projects
- Liaising with internal (including multi-disciplinary) teams, and stakeholders
- Providing assistance/support for technical drawings as required using Computer Aided Design (CAD)
- Applying working knowledge in discipline providing the team with support to solve construction and project-related problems
- Adhering to good practice implementation of Health & Safety and Quality Assurance.
- Providing support for project survey data analysis and assists with general discipline administration
- Supporting with general administration assistance and support to team members/project
You will also work towards gaining professional membership of theRoyal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), fully funded and supported by us.
What we can offer you
We see every challenge as an opportunity to dream bigger and bring ambitions to life. When you start your journey with us, you’ll get structured on-the-job training and real responsibility, right from the get-go.
With support from industry-leading colleagues, and a wealth of exposure to the variety of services we offer our clients, we’ll invest in you and your future. No holding back. As well as benefiting from our formal development programme, we offer:
- A permanent role from the moment you join
- Competitive salary + fully funded professional membership
- 22 days annual leave + bank holidays
- 2 additional ‘Mace Days’ off + 3 days paid Christmas shutdown
- One volunteering day a year
- Company pension (with up to 7% employer contribution)
- Life assurance
- Private medical insurance cover
- Annual health screening
- Cycle to work scheme
- Green car scheme
- Season ticket loan
- Discounts and savings for retailers, gyms, cafes, restaurants, cinemas, etc.
- A number of other flexible benefits
- A future or recent graduate with a RICS accredited bachelor’s degree or higher in Building Surveying
- 5 GCSEs at grade 4/C or above, including Maths and English (or equivalent qualifications)
We’re looking for ambitious people who want to make a difference in the world. Proactive people who aren’t afraid of barriers, innovate, and have a genuine passion for service excellence. And those who embody the same values, behaviours and competencies as us to proudly move our industry forward:
- Values – safety first, client focus, create opportunity, and integrity
- Behaviours – curious, collaborators, contributors, and champions of diversity and inclusion
- Competencies – build effective teams, embrace change, solve problems, and build trusted relationships
As our projects are spread across different locations, your work base will be flexible, and travel may be required to various project sites or Mace offices. It’s therefore important to have a positive and flexible approach towards travel. Due to this particular project’s remote location, having a driving licence would be beneficial for this role.
A world of opportunity
Here at Mace, you have the power to create a long-lasting and diverse career. From London to Hong Kong, New York to Nairobi, we work with clients around the world to shape cities and build sustainable communities that meet the needs of the future.
Upon completion of our graduate or apprenticeship programme, using our internal Global Opportunities Portal, you can uncover and apply for your next adventure. Whether you’re looking to travel the world, or step into a new sector, there’s plenty of opportunity for you to explore.
Equality, diversity and inclusion
Our culture respects equality, values diversity and encourages individuality – accepting and appreciating all views and beliefs and providing an environment for ideas to come alive. We welcome everyone who shares the Mace values, regardless of background, culture, disability, ethnicity, gender identity or sexual orientation.
Drawing on a broad range of backgrounds, perspectives, experience and expertise to challenge convention is our strength. It’s the reason why we continue to grow and it’s the secret to how we’ve built some of the world’s most renowned buildings.
Our employee resource groups, such as Women at Mace, Pride at Mace, Parents at Mace, Ethnic Diversity at Mace, Enabled at Mace, and Military at Mace are transforming the way we work through shared experiences - creating awareness, knowledge, and education.
We're proud to be an accredited Disability Confident employer, as well as a champion of the Hidden Disabilities Sunflower scheme. We're also ranked 37th in the Stonewall Workplace Equality Index, and a signatory to the Care Leaver Covenant and the Business in the Community's Race At Work Charter.
If you'd like to discuss any reasonable adjustments or require further guidance about our recruitment process, please firstname.lastname@example.org to speak to a member of our team (please be assured we monitor this inbox Monday to Friday).
Help us shape the world of tomorrow
If you’d like to develop a rewarding career and be part of helping our clients, people, communities and society achieve more than they believe is possible, apply today via the link below. We recruit on a rolling basis, so the earlier you apply, the stronger chance you’ll have.