Construction Management (Consultancy - Transport Rail Sector) Graduate Programme Birmingham September 2024
At Mace, we’re global experts in shaping the built environment – helping to lead the way to a more connected, resilient and sustainable world. From development and consultancy, to construction and operations, we connect expertise across the entire property lifecycle to help our clients, people, communities and society achieve more than they believe is possible.
This role starts in early September 2024, and is based in Birmingham in the Transport (Rail) sector within our Consult engine.
With populations growing rapidly and roads becoming more congested, investment in rail has never been so important. For example, railways in the UK now carry more passengers than at any time in the past six decades on a network that is 40 percent smaller than is was in the 1950s. It is no wonder that in many countries investment levels are on the rise, with pressure to deliver projects quickly and at good value to tax payers.
Rail carries an enormous amount of goods and people, creates opportunities and connects families and communities which means different stakeholders needs have to be carefully balanced. Our approach, which combines construction and consultancy expertise, provides clients with the technical ability, approach and techniques to allow them to make informed real-time decisions and keep projects on track.
In our Consult engine, you’ll be part of a global think tank where innovation and sustainability take the lead. We collaborate closely with clients to understand their individual challenges, lending new ideas and fresh thinking to make strategic decisions and shape project directions. We will follow our clients where they work, often sharing their locations. Whilst we visit projects and sites, Consult is more about delivery of creative solutions than hardhats. If on-site action speaks to you more, our Construct engine might be your scene – check out the hands-on roles we have there, where you’ll be turning plans into reality on the ground.
What you’ll do
In Construction Management, you will assist the project team in the daily control, management and coordination of construction activities to ensure the project is delivered on time, on budget, and to the required safety, environmental and quality standards. Some of your main responsibilities will include:
- Producing and monitoring short-term programmes
- Reading programme and design drawings and administering daily progress records to ensure that site works progress
- Contributing to package, coordination, safety and site progress meetings
- Ensuring safe project working practices are adhered to for all site personnel, taking appropriate action where necessary
- Assisting Construction Managers with various elements of the build
- Establishing key relationships with the trade contractors, setting up clear lines of communication to coordinate labour and help address issues that may arise
You will also work towards gaining professional membership of theChartered Institute of Building (CIOB), fully funded and supported by us.
What we can offer you
We see every challenge as an opportunity to dream bigger and bring ambitions to life. When you start your journey with us, you’ll get structured on-the-job training and real responsibility, right from the get-go.
With support from industry-leading colleagues, and a wealth of exposure to the variety of services we offer our clients, we’ll invest in you and your future. No holding back. As well as benefiting from our formal development programme, we offer:
- A permanent role from the moment you join
- Competitive salary + fully funded professional membership
- 22 days annual leave + bank holidays
- 2 additional ‘Mace Days’ off + 3 days paid Christmas shutdown
- One volunteering day a year
- Company pension (with up to 7% employer contribution)
- Life assurance
- Private medical insurance cover
- Annual health screening
- Cycle to work scheme
- Green car scheme
- Season ticket loan
- Discounts and savings for retailers, gyms, cafes, restaurants, cinemas, etc.
- A number of other flexible benefits
- A future or recent graduate with a bachelor’s degree or higher in an Engineering-related subject or similar
- 5 GCSEs at grade 4/C or above, including Maths and English (or equivalent qualifications)
We’re looking for ambitious people who want to make a difference in the world. Proactive people who aren’t afraid of barriers, innovate, and have a genuine passion for service excellence. And those who embody the same values, behaviours and competencies as us to proudly move our industry forward:
- Values – safety first, client focus, create opportunity, and integrity
- Behaviours – curious, collaborators, contributors, and champions of diversity and inclusion
- Competencies – build effective teams, embrace change, solve problems, and build trusted relationships
As our projects are spread across different locations, your work base will be flexible, and travel may be required to various project sites or Mace offices. It’s therefore important to have a positive and flexible approach towards travel.
A world of opportunity
Here at Mace, you have the power to create a long-lasting and diverse career. From London to Hong Kong, New York to Nairobi, we work with clients around the world to shape cities and build sustainable communities that meet the needs of the future.
Upon completion of our graduate or apprenticeship programme, using our internal Global Opportunities Portal, you can uncover and apply for your next adventure. Whether you’re looking to travel the world, or step into a new sector, there’s plenty of opportunity for you to explore.
Equality, diversity and inclusion
Our culture respects equality, values diversity and encourages individuality – accepting and appreciating all views and beliefs and providing an environment for ideas to come alive. We welcome everyone who shares the Mace values, regardless of background, culture, disability, ethnicity, gender identity or sexual orientation.
Drawing on a broad range of backgrounds, perspectives, experience and expertise to challenge convention is our strength. It’s the reason why we continue to grow and it’s the secret to how we’ve built some of the world’s most renowned buildings.
Our employee resource groups, such as Women at Mace, Pride at Mace, Parents at Mace, Ethnic Diversity at Mace, Enabled at Mace, and Military at Mace are transforming the way we work through shared experiences - creating awareness, knowledge, and education.
We're proud to be an accredited Disability Confident employer, as well as a champion of the Hidden Disabilities Sunflower scheme. We're also ranked 37th in the Stonewall Workplace Equality Index, and a signatory to the Care Leaver Covenant and the Business in the Community's Race At Work Charter.
If you'd like to discuss any reasonable adjustments or require further guidance about our recruitment process, please firstname.lastname@example.org to speak to a member of our team (please be assured we monitor this inbox Monday to Friday).
Help us shape the world of tomorrow
If you’d like to develop a rewarding career and be part of helping our clients, people, communities and society achieve more than they believe is possible, apply today via the link below. We recruit on a rolling basis, so the earlier you apply, the stronger chance you’ll have.