Vacation Schemes 2024
The vacation scheme is for those in at least their penultimate year of university. Over two weeks you experience life as a trainee solicitor at Macfarlanes, working in two areas of the firm alongside partners, associates and trainees.
You get hands-on experience enabling you to develop a real understanding of the firm’s culture and our work. You may draft a letter to a client, then work through it with an associate or trainee. You may research a pressing issue on a live piece of work. Or, you may sit in on a client meeting. In addition to this, you carry out a mock transaction that runs throughout the two weeks.
- Spring vacation scheme: Monday 8 – Friday 19 April 2024
- Summer vacation scheme one: Monday 24 June – Friday 5 July 2024
- Summer vacation scheme two: Monday 8 – Friday 19 July 2024
Away from the work, the scheme has a strong social component. This includes socials with trainees, lunch with partners and coffees with other representatives from across the firm.
During your two weeks at the firm, you take part in:
- a mock transaction negotiation with your fellow vacation scheme participants;
- introductory sessions to a variety of our practice areas;
- sessions exploring our business development and international strategies;
- an introductory session with the inclusion and CSR team;
- multiple networking opportunities with partners, associates, trainees and other representatives from across the firm;
- a one to one meeting with an associate to talk about work beyond being a trainee;
- evening social events with your fellow vacation scheme participants, trainees and the early legal careers team; and
- work shadowing with a trainee in two separate practice areas.
In the second week you are assessed for the training programme.