Competition Economics NERA Internship 2021
NERA Economic Consulting is a global firm of experts dedicated to applying economics, finance and quantitative principles to complex business and legal challenges. For over half a century, NERA’s economists have been creating strategies, studies, reports, expert testimony and policy recommendations for regulatory authorities, governments and the world’s leading law firms and corporations. NERA serves clients from over 25 offices across Europe, North America and Asia Pacific.
We are currently seeking interns to support our European Competition Practice based in London for a duration of up to 6 months.
The work of NERA’s European Competition Practice consists of theoretical and empirical economic analysis to assist law firms and their clients in the context of the investigation by competition authorities of alleged competition law infringements, possible damage claims arising from the infringement, and the regulatory review of mergers and acquisitions. As a member of a young and international team, you will support us on high-profile cases at the UK, other national, EU and, together with our colleagues around the world, global level. In a collaborative and rewarding environment, you will for example determine the extent to which the economic evidence is consistent with an infringement allegation, quantify the damage caused by a cartel, and advise the merging parties throughout the merger review process.
Your responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Conducting literature (including previous competition cases and theoretical literature) and data research;
- Conducting data analysis, spanning from simple descriptive analysis to more complex econometric analysis;
- Conducting conceptual analysis applying the theoretical literature to the facts of a case;
- Collaborating with your project team/s as well as being responsible for your own piece of analysis;
- Interpreting the results of your analysis and presenting your findings to the rest of the team and clients;
- Participating actively in drafting reports, memoranda, presentations and other work products;
- We are seeking final year undergraduate students and current Masters and PhD students in their penultimate year.
- First-rate academic records in Economics or related discipline with exceptional academic records. Specialisms such as microeconomics, IO, and econometrics are of particular interest.
- To enjoy quantitative research and programming using quantitative software
- To be comfortable working in Excel, R or Stata
- To have strong attention to detail and be able to think analytically and critically
- Strong communication skills in English, both written and spoken, and fluency in another language would be useful but is not essential
- To be able to work effectively both individually and in teams
What we offer
- The opportunity to work on high profile projects, so you can apply the knowledge and skills you have acquired during your studies to help solve real world problems
- Competitive salary
- Support to develop your skills through high-quality training
- A ‘buddy’ to help integrate you into the firm and support throughout