Trainee Product Purchaser Liverpool 2024
To support the product purchasing team working directly with the supply base on the procurement of products that meet Matalan`s requirements. Working hand in hand with the Product development and purchasing team to support in the sourcing and procurement of items that deliver our product strategy, optimizing the best costs and maintaining quality standards.
Your role is to support the delivery of the products on time, working in close collaboration with the purchasing merchandise team and the supply base to support on the approval process within the critical path.
- Support the purchasing team on the identification and sourcing of potential suppliers, through market research, and via our supplier inbox
- Support the sourcing supply base in collaboration with key stakeholders, aligned with the company’s goals and objectives
- Evaluate supplier capabilities, including quality, pricing, reliability and payment / delivery terms
- Support Negotiations with suppliers to secure the most favourable terms for Matalan
- Build and maintain strong and trusting relationships with suppliers, support to highlight and resolve any issues Purchase Planning
- Support the Merch Planning and the purchasing team on capacity planning, allowing Matalan to maximise manufacturing efficiencies.
- Support the purchasing teams in resolving any issues with suppliers regarding quality, delivery, or other aspects of the purchasing process
- Collaborate with suppliers to improve quality, efficiency, and cost-effectiveness
- Work with the product development team to ensure product specification packs are accurate and suppliers meet the requirements accordingly
- Understand market trends, pricing data, and economic factors to support negotiations
- Build and utilise costing knowledge to negotiate costs with suppliers, to achieve savings and maximise profitability
- Support in Identifying consolidation opportunities to improve efficiency both internally and externally within the supply base
- Support the tender process on key volume lines.
- Support the purchasing team on the approval process within the critical path on the day to day detail, ensuring all trigger dates are met - escalating accordingly where necessary to ensure the timely delivery of finished products
- Support on product approvals in collaboration with the key stakeholders i.e. technologist / Fabric
- Support in maintaining accurate and updated records on purchasing activities, cost savings, supplier information and performance
- Provide regular updates and analysis regarding costs / purchasing / supplier opportunities through benchmarking People
- Act as a role model, demonstrating the Matalan values at all times
The ideal candidate will have:
- Strong negotiation and communication skills
- Understanding of Supply Chain Management – including raw material and production trends
- Excellent attention to detail, with exceptional organisational and problem solving skills
- Bachelor’s degree in business, supply chain or a related field (or equivalent experience)
- Proven experience in purchasing, procurement, or supply chain preferably within Retail
- Understanding of Sourcing strategies, supplier management and purchasing best practice
- Analytical thinking with the ability to provide data analysis in a clear and concise manner
- Ability to multi-task and work to tight deadlines
From humble beginnings to disruptive innovations in the retail industry, find out about how Matalan is ever-evolving here.
We know as a team, we are stronger together – we champion equality for all and make lasting connections that go beyond work. We thrive off our inclusive culture, encouraging our colleagues to bring their true selves to work and contributing to collective creativity, open-mindedness and growth.
We want give every candidate the opportunity to perform at their best throughout the application and interview process and then ultimately in their role. If you require any adjustments during our recruitment process, please don’t hesitate to let us know.
In the event that a high volume of suitable applications are received, the post may close prior to the specified closing date. Please apply as soon as possible if interested.
In addition to competitive salaries, we also offer the below core benefits:
- 20% staff discount, which increases with length of service
- Thrive Recognition Scheme
- Wellbeing support provided by the Retail Trust
- Life Assurance
- Retail Rewards platform offering discounts for other retailers
- Pension Scheme
- Access to a wide range of career development
- Additional benefits may apply depending on your role and area of the business