Forensic Investigation Services Placement Birmingham 2021
The Financial Advisory Services (FAS) team is a rapidly growing, award winning and global group. You will be joining a team at the forefront of large international infrastructure projects, global M&A transactions, high-profile forensic investigations, business valuations, corporate restructuring and national creditor advisory services; all with the ultimate aim of adding value to clients by finding solutions to a wide range of financial issues. Our FAS specialists support clients raising finance for large infrastructure projects, advise on corporate acquisitions (both in the UK and cross border), restructure businesses to secure livelihoods and act as experts on high profile international investigations and disputes.
The FIS team work on assignments with a variety of clients in different sectors including; oil & gas, shipping, mining, telecommunications, intellectual property and royalties, pharmaceuticals and financial services (including insurance).
As a Forensic and Investigation Services (FIS) intern, you will be supporting the FIS team to provide high-quality investigations, advice, expert reports and expert testimony on financial and accountancy matters including:
- Litigation and arbitration: acting as party appointed, single joint expert or expert advisor in a host of litigation, English and international arbitration and Alternative Dispute Resolution procedures; and
- Investigations: providing authoritative and impartial advice in investigations and asset recoveries.
As a member of this busy and dynamic team you will be instrumental in ensuring that client expectations are met through the provision of a quality product within an agreed budget and timescale.
As an intern your typical daily duties will include:
- Undertaking desktop research and collating information for team members.
- Preparing targeted financial analysis of data under the supervision of project managers.
- Undertaking in-depth document review.
- Assisting managers and partners with preparing tables, charts, exhibits and appendices for inclusion in reports.
- Undertaking independent verification of expert reports to ensure that all facts and figures therein agree to supporting documents and effectively communicate any identified issues to the project team.
- Contributing to the efficient operation of each project assignment by proactively providing junior support to managers and partners.
- Contributing to non-chargeable work in the team, including the preparation of client proposals and business development opportunities.
- Attending in-house technical training as required.
- Having an awareness of the various services provided by Mazars.
We are looking for people who bring something special to the firm and who also have some distinctive qualities. We want driven people who think creatively about their work, embrace challenges and can resolve complex problems.
- Demonstrates strong analytical and research skills.
- Attention to detail and strong time-management skills.
- Ability to organise and prioritise workload.
- Takes ownership of assigned tasks and adopts a pro-active approach.
- Ability to build relationships.
- Credible and effective communication skills (written and verbal).
- Affinity with our values; in particular, respect for individuals, diversity and integrity.
- Actively seeks to enhance own expertise and knowledge.
- Demonstrates drive and commitment to self-development.
- Professional approach to work and clients i.e. professional appearance, respect for individuals, and ethical conduct.
Strong academic performance is important so we know that you're ready to take your professional exams. However, we understand things don't always go to plan – so if you don't meet our minimum requirements, please let us know if you have any exceptional achievements or extenuating circumstances which affected your results. We also consider your achievements in the context of your socio-economic background, so encourage you to submit your contextual information.
- Minimum of 112 UCAS points. This is based on the new 2017 UCAS Tariff. You can calculate your UCAS points here.
- Grade 5 (B) or above in GCSE English Language and Maths.
Training & Support
We operate several in-house training courses which will give you the technical insight to keep up with changes in legislation and case law, both in the UK and worldwide.
You will be given a mentor and an appraising manager to keep your career and aspirations on track.
If this role becomes permanent there will be an opportunity for you to study towards a professional qualification, such as the ACA qualification, if desired.