Tax Industrial Placements
At Mazars we’ll help you build on your expertise, experience and ambition to develop a rewarding and successful career. We want you to be yourself, to bring your ideas and creativity and to feel inspired as part of our national tax team.
We provide bespoke advice in all areas of taxation, helping our clients to navigate the complexities of tax codes, often in multiple jurisdictions, and to help them ensure they are fulfilling all their obligations and paying the correct amount of tax. In this way we help them to manage an area of significant financial and reputational risk and to make properly informed decisions about their tax position whether they are an individual, a business owner or a corporate organisation. We also help clients resolve any disputes they have with the tax authorities as swiftly as possible.
We cover every aspect of taxation for clients, whether on employment, corporate profits or gains, movements of individuals or businesses from one country to another, international transactions or on personal income, gains or wealth.
As a Personal Tax Trainee, your time will be spent mainly working in the office and studying for your professional exams. Our private clients include entrepreneurs, high net worth individuals and owner/shareholders of our corporate clients. As a personal tax trainee you will ensure a client meets all their tax obligations by preparing and submitting tax returns and other necessary forms. You will also review clients’ business structures and personal financial arrangements to deliver solutions for their financial goals and business needs.
During your first year you will:
- Learn how to use the tax software and systems in order to prepare tax returns and other necessary forms for individuals, trusts and estates;
- Develop a thorough understanding of the tax legislation and the nature of the clients’ personal financial circumstances.
- Be able to obtain relevant information from other departments and clients whilst building good communication with both.
If you are offered a permanent role to return at the end of your placement, you will re-join as a second year after completing your degree. Below outlines your training if you return.
During your second year you will:
- Self-review your own-work, ensuring minimal review points are raised by managers.
- Be able to provide assistance to less experience team members.
In your third year you will be expected to undertake peer reviews of tax returns and take ownership for the tax returns process to ensure it is completed within the stated deadline. You will also prepare tax returns for more complex clients providing you with exposure to different areas of personal taxation.
- Interpersonal skills; the ability to build client relationships with a foundation of trust and responsibility.
- Analytical skills; the ability to think critically, research and solve problems.
- Attention to detail and strong time-management skills.
- Commitment to self-development & learning.
- Affinity with our values; in particular, respect for individuals, diversity and integrity.
Strong academic performance is important so we know that you’re ready to take your professional exams. However, we understand things don’t always go to plan – so if you don’t meet our minimum requirements, please let us know if you have any exceptional achievements or extenuating circumstances which affected your results. We also consider your achievements in the context of your socio-economic background, so encourage you to submit your contextual information.
- On track to receive a 2.1 or above in any degree discipline
- Minimum of 112 UCAS points. This is based on the new 2017 UCAS Tariff. You can calculate your UCAS points here.
- Grade B or above in GCSE English Language and Maths.
We will fund for you to study towards the combined ATT/CTA qualification.
You will receive a full study package to ensure that you successfully complete your professional qualification. This includes time off to study, attend college and complete online courses. Your professional qualification is only part of the story at Mazars; we support all of our trainees with a blended approach to training and development including classroom study, 1:1 coaching, and soft skills training.
You will be supported by a mentor and an appraising manager to keep your career and aspirations on track.