Surface Observations Metadata Placement 2022
The Met Office is delighted to open our advertising for a number of progressive industrial placements, which will commence from July 2022 until July 2023.
We're hiring for a Surface Observations Metadata Industrial Placement 2022 with a salary of £17900.00 plus amazing benefits. You would be based in Exeter with hybrid remote working but we will consider applicants wishing to work elsewhere within the UK.
Why should I choose the Met Office?
- Flexible hours and homeworking (where business requirements allow)
- Our Industrial Placement scheme
- 27.5 days annual leave (plus bank holidays) and an option to buy or sell up to 5 days per year of annual leave
- Access to discounted shopping on a range of retail, leisure and lifestyle categories
Who we are
Right across the world, every single day, people make decisions based on the weather. We have a strong purpose and provide critical weather and climate science services, helping people make better decisions to stay safe and thrive.
Everything we do is based on world-leading science and enhanced by the close working relationships we have with partner organisations around the globe. We collect and make sense of massive amounts of data every day, using cutting-edge technology for the benefit of mankind - and our planet.
Our exceptional people deliver scientific, technological and operational expertise and provide critical services. Our people work together to deliver extraordinary impact, making us one of the most trusted forecasters in the world.
Our Industrial Placement programme offers ambitious, capable under-graduates the opportunity to gain valuable experience working alongside diverse and highly skilled experts in their field. You’ll be working on projects that really matter and will make a difference. The programme also opens up opportunities in the future after you graduate.
Our values – it’s who we are:
- We’re a force for good
- We’re experts by nature
- We live and breathe it
- We’re better together
- We keep evolving
We are the Met Office, come and join us and help us to make a difference.
This is an exciting opportunity to join the Met Office on a 12-month industrial placement, which will give you an opportunity to gain valuable experience working alongside diverse and highly skilled experts in their field, supporting you to achieve key deliverables and develop your own skills and knowledge.
The placement will be fully integrated with your university requirements to ensure you gain the most value possible from your experience with us. You will have the opportunity to network with our cohort of Industrial Placements all over the Met Office and understand what career opportunities we can offer you after your degree.
Your responsibilities as our Surface Observations Metadata Industrial Placement 2022 will include:
- Exploring options for our metadata collection and management
- Work with the Surface Networks team to deliver operational systems relating to metadata collection and management
- Configuration of tools and systems
- Basic programming to work with a range of data sources
- Linking data sources to improve management practices
This Industrial Placement is an exciting opportunity to see first-hand what we do and make a real impact that the Met Office truly values, whilst developing yourself for the start of your career.
Essential Qualifications, Skills & Abilities
- Is studying for an undergraduate degree with a significant environmental/technology focus which MUST incorporate a placement year (i.e. sandwich course).
- A proven interest in the environmental sector especially weather and climate
- Proven ability with programming applications especially dealing with multiple data sources
- An analytical thinker with the ability to solve problems and see the big picture
- Ability to self motivate and learn new skills to deliver results
- Good team working skills
- Has the ability to produce technical documentation and present results clearly, both in writing and in person
- Has an understanding of principles and practice relating to metadata, data repository systems and time series data
How to apply
If this opportunity excites you to join us and make a difference, click the link below and attach your CV and a cover letter. You should use your cover letter to evidence how you meet our essential criteria.
We are accepting applications until 23:59 on 18th February 2022. You will hear from us after this date to let you know if you have been shortlisted for an interview. Our interviews are taking place remotely via Microsoft Teams.