What is the Commercial Management Graduate Scheme?
The Commercial Management Graduate Scheme will give you a practical introduction to the management of operations within an investment firm. In order to deliver outstanding investment performance, our investors rely on a large number of teams. With many different areas to explore, there's bound to be a career path for you - whether it's within Product Development, Strategic Planning, Investment Specialist teams, Business Management, Client Relationship Management, Sales, Marketing or Operations. Trainees with the relevant language skills can additionally rotate in our overseas offices to experience our sales functions. The Commercial Management Scheme will last between 12 and 18 months, involving a series of 10 week rotations in our operational, business management and client facing teams. You will experience between 5 and 7 rotations over the duration of the programme, where you will develop an understanding of our varied and complex business functions and the role they play in our success. Towards the end of the scheme we will work with you to find a permanent role and team that suits your strengths and interests. Rotation appraisals ensure you receive regular feedback and continue to develop throughout the programme.
You will rotate through the following business areas, plus a rotation of your choice:
- Fixed Income - Fixed Income manages assets on behalf of Internal and Institutional clients, utilising our extensive credit research capabilities and experienced portfolio managers to deliver strong investment performance.
- Retail - Our Retail division is responsible for the effective distribution of our investment propositions of the Equities business. This includes the distribution of retail funds to clients across the UK, Europe and Asia
- Equities – Our Equities business manages assets on behalf of Internal and Retail clients, focussed on delivering superior investment performance to our clients. We do this by offering a diverse range of investment strategies across a wide array of geographies.
What will you do?
You will benefit from participating in work where they can make a genuine contribution to the organisation. The nature of the work will vary dependent on the business areas and teams that you rotate through.
Work that previous graduates have been involved in includes:
- Preparing presentations for client pitches and materials to articulate the fund strategy
- Working with Fund Managers and Fund Manager Assistants to answer client queries
- Researching to understand the potential impact of changing market, regulatory, political and legal factors on the funds
- Working closely with stakeholders to produce marketing materials including fund literature, adverts and digital content
- Reviewing service agreements with external suppliers to help ensure long term business requirements are met
- Working with other business units to research how to launch an innovative new fund
- Fund administration, reporting and investor relations for traditional pooled funds
- Running performance reports on software for different clients within the business, showing the performance of funds
- Conducting competitor analysis for the Investment Specialist teams
Graduates on the Commercial Management Graduate Scheme will not be analysing investment opportunities or making portfolio recommendations.
What training is provided?
Throughout the scheme, you are given comprehensive training and a vast support network; this includes a four-week asset-management introductory programme, a buddy from a previous cohort and an optional mentor. All graduates complete their induction by obtaining the Investment Management Certificate (IMC). Once you start your permanent role, you will begin supported study towards a further professional qualification. Graduates are also able to make the most of the in-house training opportunities available.