Graduate Civil and Structural Engineering Scheme 2021
Now more than ever, our environment and communities need to be made more resilient in the face of climate change, and our civil engineers aim to solve this by offering the opportunity to create better cities, reduce poverty and improve health.
Working alongside our experts, you’ll play a part in safeguarding natural resources and creating economic and social growth for generations to come.
You will have the option to work within the following areas:
- Built Environment - You’ll play a big part in designing structures which improve local communities within a variety of sectors including buildings, bridges, water, and energy. Using BIM technology, you will have provide sustainable design solutions for a variety of high-profile projects. You’ll be responsible for a range of elements from, master planning, concept, and feasibility through to full detailed design and supervision on site. Our multi-disciplinary teams design infrastructure which help to support the essential requirements of everyday life, including transportation systems, energy, and water.
- Bridges - Recognised as a leader in bridge engineering with capabilities covering the full spectrum of bridge planning, design and construction supervision. Our portfolio includes some of the world’s greatest landmark bridges and extends from small pedestrian bridges in urban areas to striking cable stay bridges to major suspension bridges on estuarial crossings
- Geotechnics - You’ll have the opportunity to get stuck in with our geotechnical engineers who work on numerical analysis for stability, earth pressures, deformation, and pore pressure distribution. Using their extensive knowledge, they work on applying these into engineering designs.
- Energy - This team provides civil design support to high profile projects such as the Hinkley Point power station. Our teams work on a range of large-scale projects providing support such as general energy projects, transmission and distribution, power generation, and nuclear power.
- Transport - You’ll be joining a team with over 100 years of experience working in transport, who are the market leaders when it comes to the design of roads, drainage, railways, light rail, highways, and tunnels.
- Water - Join this team of water experts and you’ll work with a number of large water utility groups creating hydraulic models, and designing water supply networks, drainage and flood barriers.
We also have teams who specialise in asset management, dams & reservoirs, pipelines & networks and water treatment so do make sure to select those requirements if you have a specific interest.
- Ports & Coastal - It’s an exciting time for our coastal team who are pioneering the use of BIM to design coastal defence schemes. Join our experts and you’ll be involved in the planning, engineering, and construction supervision of all types of port facilities including container terminals and cruise terminals.
- Defence - Our major UK government client is investing heavily in the upgrade of existing but aging infrastructure and providing new facilities to meet their changing needs.
This includes new building and training facilities, roads, parking, drainage, water and wastewater treatment. You will be working on buildings and infrastructure projects and gain excellent experience in seeing projects from inception to delivery in a unique environment with extensive travel opportunities.
- Special services - Mott MacDonald’s Special Services team are at the forefront of developing advanced structural analysis and dynamics solutions, addressing materials technology requirements, advancing asset life management of a wide range of civil infrastructure, and undertaking specialist studies for a diversity of clients.
We are also part of the Information Management Network which is responsible and invests in technology and improved ways of working to help deliver our projects.
We are looking for a flexible and motivated graduates with a genuine passion for civil engineering and a desire to make a difference in the world. If this describes you, apply today to launch your career at Mott MacDonald.
To apply for this scheme, you will have less than 12 months experience and have a degree or are expected to achieve one of the following degree disciplines:
- Civil engineering
- Structural engineering
- Coastal engineering
- Engineering science with a specialising in civil
- Geotechnical engineering
In your application you should be able to demonstrate your interest in civil engineering through relevant experience, such as studying relevant modules, or previous work experience.
We are looking for graduates with the following characteristics:
- Methodical approach to problem solving
- Ability to use your initiative to undertake tasks efficiently and independently.
- Excellent verbal communication skills, which allow you to confidently liaise with clients and team members.
- Excellent written communication and attention to detail, and be able to demonstrate accurate technical drawings and good report writing.
About this graduate role – is it the right one for you?
A graduate scheme should be more than just job. We know this and so do you. That’s why with our graduate programme, we aim to give you the experience and technical knowledge you need to progress your career.
From the moment you join us, you’ll receive the training you need. You will be assigned a chartered mentor, who will guide you to meet the objectives of your professional training agreement. We’ll support you on your journey to gaining chartered status with your chosen institution.
What else is involved?
With our innovative graduate development portal, you will be able to effectively track and plan your personal and professional development online.
You’ll be enrolled onto Accelerate Your Future, a three-year programme which develops your strengths, it also gives you the opportunity to network and meet other graduates in your cohort. The programme is a mix of residential events, classroom-based learning, virtual webinars and business challenges.
We understand that each person’s career goals vary, therefore we tailor make each individual’s development programme to suit them. With our vast library of e-learning courses available to you, you can choose which direction you want your career to go in.
You’re probably wondering what else is on offer. Join us, and you’ll get:
- Biannual salary reviews: we believe that hard work should be rewarded and recognised. Therefore, for the first three years of your career with us, you’ll have biannual salary reviews.
- A competitive salary: in addition to biannual reviews, we will ensure that you’re given a salary that matches the current industry standard.
- Contributory pension: we have the best people on our team and we like to look out for them. With our support, you’ll have all the advice and options you need to be able to invest in your future.
- A flexible benefits scheme: our company is made up of a range of different people and we understand that different people want different things. That’s why with our flexible plan, you’ll have the ability to manage the range of benefits we have on offer, to suit your specific needs.