Graduate Environmental Scientist Reading 2022
We are looking to recruit a graduate environmental specialist to join our growing environmental team supporting nuclear projects in the UK. We are looking for someone with an environmental and sustainability background who wants to learn on the job and be involved in major infrastructure projects.
As a Graduate environmental specialist, you will be supporting other senior team members in the review of design documents and environmental assessments and helping them coordinate specialist teams where required. Often the challenges posed by the types of projects we are involved in are varied and in many cases are novel, meaning that the scope of work continually changes but is incredibly interesting and rewarding.
Provide environmental support to senior staff on the following (specialist teams are tasked with delivering the each of the aspects listed):
- Best Available Techniques
- Radiological risk assessment
- Sustainability Appraisal
- Energy Resource Statement (energy & carbon)
- DREAM assessment (MOD equivalent of BREEAM)
- CIRAM (Climate Impact Risk Assessment)
- Human Factors
Who you are
We are looking for flexible and motivated graduates with a genuine passion and a desire to make a difference in the world. If this describes you, apply today to launch your career at Mott MacDonald.
To apply for this scheme, you will have less than 12 months experience and have a degree or are expected to achieve one of the following degree disciplines:
- Engineering or Environmental related degree
- Radwaste Management or Radiological Protection
In your application you should be able to demonstrate your interest through relevant experience, such as studying relevant modules, or previous work experience.
Projects are often at the concept design stage and they themselves are continually changing in terms of scope, requirements, deliverables, and arrangements. Therefore, there is often a lack of data and an establish framework within to work.
Given the above, any suitable candidate would have to demonstrate the following:
- Be approachable with good communication skills and able to work within a team
- Have a varied environmental/engineering background
- Show good initiative to be able to engage with a task and adapt approaches when required
- Have an appreciation of engineering and environmental/ sustainability aspects, but not necessarily a specialist in any given aspect (soft and transferrable skills are of high importance).
As we want the best people for the role, its available as part time, job share or full time. This is because we recognise that sometimes people are not available full time. Please ask us at interview stage about any flexibility you may need.
About this graduate scheme – is it the right one for you?
A graduate scheme should be more than just job. We know this and so do you. That’s why with our graduate programme, we aim to give you the experience and technical knowledge you need to progress your career.
From the moment you join us, you’ll receive the training you need. You will be assigned a chartered mentor, who will guide you to meet the objectives of your professional training agreement. We’ll support you on your journey to gaining chartered status with your chosen institution.
What else is involved?
With our innovative graduate development portal, you will be able to effectively track and plan your personal and professional development online.
You’ll be enrolled onto Accelerate Your Future, a structured three-year development programme which develops the strengths that we know graduates need to be successful at Mott MacDonald. It also gives you the opportunity to network and meet other graduates in your cohort. The programme is a mix of residential events, classroom-based learning, virtual webinars and business challenges. We understand that each person’s career goals vary, therefore we tailor make each individual’s development programme to suit them. With our vast library of e-learning courses available to you, you can choose which direction you want your career to go in.
You’re probably wondering what else is on offer
Join us, and you’ll get:
- Biannual salary reviews: we believe that hard work should be rewarded and recognised. Therefore, for the first three years of your career with us, you’ll have biannual salary reviews.
- A competitive salary: in addition to biannual reviews, we will ensure that you’re given a salary that matches the current industry standard.
- Contributory pension up to 7% of your salary: we have the best people on our team, and we like to look out for them. With our support, you’ll have all the advice and options you need to be able to invest in your future.
- A flexible benefits scheme: our company is made up of a range of different people and we understand that different people want different things. That’s why with our flexible plan, you’ll have the ability to manage the range of benefits we have on offer, to suit your specific needs.
Our social side
Being part of Mott MacDonald means more than just work, there’s a huge range of fun and exciting things that you can get involved in.
From the moment you join us, you’ll have the opportunity to expand your social and professional network, whether it’s meeting other graduates or joining forces with other members of staff from around the company at our annual sports day. Each of our offices have a sports and social committee which will give you the chance to be part of a variety of sports, social and charity events. We’re committed to promoting a strong culture of social responsibility and encourage our staff to play active roles in the local community.
It's worth noting that sports and social committees tend to vary from office to office, so as well as getting involved in what’s already on offer, don’t be afraid to suggest new events or initiatives that you think could be a great addition.
It doesn’t stop there. As well as events, you’ll also have access to discounts on cinema tickets, travel, fashion, utilities and much more as part of our company benefits which you can take advantage of the moment you join.
Equality, diversity and inclusion
We put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our business, seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all. We encourage individual expression in our workplace and are committed to creating an inclusive environment where everyone feels they have the opportunity to contribute.
At Mott MacDonald, we believe it makes business sense for you and your manager to choose how you can work most effectively to meet your client, team and personal commitments. We embrace agility, flexibility and trust.
More about Mott MacDonald
We’re a global engineering, management and development consultancy.
Our purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes in everything we do, relentlessly focusing on excellence and digital innovation, transforming our clients’ businesses, our communities and employee opportunities.
A fundamental part of this is respecting each person’s differences and striving to meet their needs.
Our values: progress, respect, integrity, drive, excellence