Graduate Civil Engineer Midlands 2024
Murphy is a leading global, specialist engineering and construction company founded in 1951 that improves life by delivering world-class infrastructure.
Operating in the United Kingdom, Ireland and Canada, we provide better engineered solutions to infrastructure sectors including Transportation, Water, Power, Natural Resources, and Construction & Property.
Murphy employs around 3,500 engineers, professional managers and skilled operatives around the world. Together, we work as ‘One Murphy’ by directly delivering the people, plant and expertise needed to make projects a success.
Murphy Goes Green
- 36% reduction in carbon emission intensity to date
- 98% of waste diverted from landfill
- Introduced cleaner burning Gas-to-Liquid fuel (first construction company in the UK)
- Installed electric and hybrid car charging points
- Working towards being Net Zero by 2030
Murphy are hiring Graduate Civil Engineers to work closely with our senior engineers. This is an exciting opportunity for graduates to join an established Contractor. Finish university and start your career for real, as you join the two-year Murphy Graduate programme.
Plunge yourself into our world, keep your eyes open for every opportunity, and in just two years, you’ll find yourself well on your way to achieving a professional qualification with support from your dedicated Mentor. We are committed to the development of our engineers and our graduate programme is accredited by the Institution of Civil Engineers and Engineers Ireland.
You’ll also receive technical and soft skills training throughout the 2-years, through a structured training programme. We want you to experience as much as possible when you join Murphy, and there are a whole host of skills and competencies, we want you to gain as part it. Therefore, we are excited to offer the opportunity to rotate to different sectors or projects whilst on programme, enabling you to maximise your learning and exposure to your field of study.
- Accurate setting out of the works and dimensional control
- Resolving technical problems at all levels
- Carry out inspections in accordance with the Inspection and Test Plan
- The production of survey information and red – lined drawings for the completion of the As-built records
- Ensuring activities are carried out in safe manner in accordance with the Project Safety Plan
- Accurate maintenance of Quality Management System records
- Ensure equipment is calibrated, in date and suitable checked in accordance with company policies and the manufacturers’ defined requirements
- Ensure the site diary is accurately maintained noting against each record the date, location and serial number of equipment used
- Informing senior management of any non-conformances or poor workmanship
- Ensure all site personnel have clear, accurate and appropriate information to carry out their duties
- Close liaison with the Site Foreman and Works Managers
- Ensure that only the latest issue drawings and documents are being used
- Ensure all materials on site are suitable, stored in line with manufacturer’s recommendations current working practice, contract specification or project requirements
- Assist the Site Management team to update KPI’s, material reconciliation and progress reports
- Assist QS with site quantities and measures for monthly valuations
What do we look for?
- Construction Experience (desirable)
- Setting Out and Surveying techniques (desirable)
- Computer literate and proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Experience in AutoCAD
Above all, we need people who will adopt our values and strive to live them:
- One Family, One Team, One Murphy
- Always Deliver
- Respect, Integrity & Accountability
- Never Harm
- Continually Improve
- An ICE accredited Civil Engineering Degree or equivalent.
- Due to the nature of our work, we may require you to have a full clean driving licence.
- Eligible to work in the UK with a valid work permit if applicable. Please note, that we do not provide sponsorship.
As a Construction and Civil Engineering company we have projects, big and small, based across the UK, Ireland and Canada.
There is the opportunity for you to rotate around our projects, which depends on business requirements and project sizes. Rotating to different projects will enable you to maximise your learning and exposure to your field of study.
How will I learn?
In short, by grabbing every chance you get. Alongside working on some fascinating, challenging and occasionally jaw-dropping projects, you’ll also be part of our Murphy Learning programme, where everyone has ownership of their own training. You decide what skills you want to gain, with support and guidance from your manager. We call it the 70:20:10 principle, and it goes like this:
- 70% learning on the job, challenging yourself with new projects and responsibilities
- 20% learning through others, training and networking with senior managers, colleagues, and industry leaders
- 10% structured learning, choosing training courses that fit your needs and your team’s aims