Graduate Mechanical Engineer September 2024
Murphy is a leading global, specialist engineering and construction company founded in 1951 that improves life by delivering world-class infrastructure.
Operating in the United Kingdom, Ireland and Canada, we provide better engineered solutions to infrastructure sectors including Transportation, Water, Power, Natural Resources, and Construction & Property. Murphy employs around 3,500 engineers, professional managers and skilled operatives around the world.
Together, we work as ‘One Murphy’ by directly delivering the people, plant and expertise needed to make projects a success.
Murphy Goes Green
- 36% reduction in carbon emission intensity to date
- 98% of waste diverted from landfill
- Introduced cleaner burning Gas-to-Liquid fuel (first construction company in the UK)
- Installed electric and hybrid car charging points
- Working towards being Net Zero by 2030
Murphy are hiring Graduate Mechanical Engineers to work closely with our senior engineers. This is an exciting opportunity for graduates to join an established Contractor. Finish university and start your career for real, as you join the Murphy Graduate programme at one of our offices or sites.
Plunge yourself into our world, keep your eyes open for every opportunity, and in just two years, you’ll find yourself well on your way to achieving a professional qualification with support from your dedicated Mentor. We are committed to the development of our engineers and our graduate programme is accredited by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers.
- Support commissioning and site maintenance teams in fault finding
- Assist with resolving technical problems at all levels.
- Carry out inspections in accordance with the Inspection and Test Plan in a timely manner.
- Accurate maintenance of Quality Management System records.
- Assist with ensuring equipment is calibrated, in date and suitable checked in accordance with company policies and the manufacturers’ defined requirements.
- Ensure the site diary is accurately maintained noting against each record the date, location and serial number of equipment used.
- Help with the co-ordination and supervision of Sub-contractors in the performance of the Works.
- Ensure that only the latest issue drawings and documents are being used.
- Ensure all materials on site are suitable, stored in line with manufacturer’s recommendations current working practice, contract specification or project requirements.
- Assist the Site Management team to update KPI’s, material reconciliation and progress reports.
What do we look for?
- Construction Experience (desirable)
- Computer literate and proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel
Above all, we need people who will adopt our values and strive to live them:
- One Family, One Team, One Murphy
- Always Deliver
- Respect, Integrity & Accountability
- Never Harm
- Continually Improve
- Mechanical Engineering Degree or equivalent
- Due to the nature of our work, we may require you to have a full clean driving licence.
- Eligible to work in the UK with a valid work permit if applicable. Please note, that we do not provide sponsorship
As a Construction and Civil Engineering company we have projects, big and small, based across the UK, Ireland and Canada.
There is the opportunity for you to rotate around our projects, which depends on business requirements and project sizes. Rotating to different projects will enable you to maximise your learning and exposure to your field of study.
How will I learn?
In short, by grabbing every chance you get. Alongside working on some fascinating, challenging and occasionally jaw-dropping projects, you’ll also be part of our Murphy Learning programme, where everyone has ownership of their own training. You decide what skills you want to gain, with support and guidance from your manager. We call it the 70:20:10 principle, and it goes like this:
- 70% learning on the job, challenging yourself with new projects and responsibilities
- 20% learning through others, training and networking with senior managers, colleagues, and industry leaders
- 10% structured learning, choosing training courses that fit your needs and your team’s aims