Graduate Accountancy Scheme 2021
Our highly successful ACA professional training scheme is now live! We will equip you with the Chartered Accountancy qualification and membership of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW).
You will have the opportunity to make a real difference to our huge range of clients but also to the nation.
The scope of our work and influence is vast – supporting Parliament to hold government to account and improve the full spectrum of public services. We enable and support crucial economic and social changes needed to improve financial management and the way vital public services are delivered to millions of people every day. In a nutshell, we help the nation spend wisely.
By joining us and achieving a prestigious qualification as a chartered accountant, you will build a rewarding and fascinating career. You will make an impact that you and the nation will benefit from. You will develop your skills as a professional, a manager and a leader. You will be equipped for a fantastic career.
Our crucial role in holding government to account is mirrored by the fact that our leader is appointed by Her Majesty the Queen! In addition to offering a unique insight into government operations, we also offer an array of vibrant social and training events throughout the year.
Alongside doing varied work with an unrivalled network of high profile clients you’ll have access to a supportive and sociable peer group to help you gain career success. We also offer an extremely attractive pay and benefits package:
- A highly competitive starting salary
- Annual pay increases and increases when you pass each stage of your professional exams
- Fully funded ACA qualification and ICAEW membership subscriptions
- 30 days’ holiday (including public holidays)
- Fully paid 25 weeks study leave in block release
- Civil Service pension scheme
- Excellent on-site gym in London and subsidised gym membership in Newcastle
- Interest free travel season ticket loan
- Staff discounts
- Social events – including annual pop quiz, film quiz and Christmas party…..
- Opportunities to take responsibility early in your career
- An excellent system of support from NAO colleagues
So come and join us and be part of the bigger picture at the National Audit Office (NAO).
The start date for the scheme will be the beginning of September 2021, however we do have some limited early start positions available from January-March 2021. This will allow you to gain some practical work experience before starting the training programme.
Please note: We reserve the option of bringing the closing date for applications forward.
Alongside working towards your Chartered Accountancy qualification, you will work with a wide range of clients, including central and local government. You will start out as a team member supporting our core financial audits, and will gradually get to work on bigger audits and more complex projects, taking the lead as you develop your skills and confidence. Whilst working mainly on financial audits you’ll also have the opportunity to be involved in a range of our other work – including support for Parliament, investigations, and our larger value for money studies and programmes which result in high-profile reports to Parliament that often make the headlines.
We look for individuals who can
- Analyse data to draw sound conclusions
- Demonstrate sound judgement
- Communicate effectively with others
- Demonstrate enthusiasm, initiative and drive
- Build and maintain effective team relationships
- Build and maintain key client relationships
- Plan and organise workload to deliver high quality work to deadline
- Understand the bigger picture
You will need
- a minimum of 120 UCAS points (or 300 based on the pre-September 2017 UCAS tariff point system) or equivalent, not including General Studies. If you have 104 UCAS points (or 260 based on the former UCAS tariff point system), you may still be eligible to apply as your application will be reviewed in the context of your socio-economic background.
- 2.1 undergraduate degree (or better) in any degree discipline (achieved or expected)