Operations Graduate Scheme 2024
We're excited to be recruiting for 5 new graduates to work in NATS’ Operations Division as part of our Early Careers programme to be based either at one of our main sites close to Southampton (Hampshire) or Prestwick (Ayrshire). These roles provide an opportunity to participate in the running of two of the busiest air traffic control centres in Europe, a critical part of the UK’s national infrastructure. Do you like a challenge? Can you demonstrate excellence in what you do? If so, please read the job description below and if it sounds like you, why not apply?
Who are NATS?
NATS is the UK’s leading Air Navigation Service Provider (ANSP). Every year we handle 2.6 million flights and keep 250 million passengers safe whilst in UK airspace. We provide air traffic management (ATM) services in UK airspace and into the North Atlantic through 2 air traffic control centres and 13 airports in the UK, as well as providing these services around the world spanning Europe, Middle East, Asia and North America.
We’re shaping the future of ATM through our focus on ‘advancing aviation and keeping the skies safe’ and believe that the opportunities and diversity of our business makes us an exciting choice for undergraduates considering their future careers.
What will the Graduate scheme involve?
This 2-year programme will be based at either our Head Office in Whiteley (Hampshire) or one of our air traffic control centres in Swanwick (Hampshire) or Prestwick (Ayrshire). We have also adopted ‘agile working’ which will enable you, where possible, to have the opportunity and flexibility to work in our modern office facilities as well as at home.
We are recruiting 5 new graduates to work in the Operations Division amongst 1600 people across a variety of professions. Within Operations we have a number of teams that work together to deliver services to our customers. These teams are:
- Airspace & Future Operations – where we set the strategic direction of our operational services, and design and implement the new technology and airspace to deliver it.
- En Route ATM – this team plans and delivers the complex day-to-day service, working with airlines and others to plan the efficient use of the airspace network to ensure planes can fly as direct and environmentally efficient routes as possible consistent with maintaining the very highest standards of safety.
- Operations Support – providing operational and management support to ensure the smooth running of the operation, including operational policy and procedures, operations planning, customer relationship management and business services.
- Safety & Assurance – analysing our current and future services and systems to ensure our service is underpinned by a relentless drive for improvement in our safety performance.
- Operations Training – exploring new technologies to continuously improve the specialist training our operational staff need, both now and in the future, to safely guide planes through our airspace.
- Operations Resourcing – ensuring we’ve got the right short- and long-term workforce plans, and agreements with our staff and Trades Unions, to provide the right number of operational staff with the right skills to deliver a high-quality service tomorrow and for the next 10 years.
The initial 2 years of the role will provide the opportunity to experience different parts of the business through a series of placements, depending on your existing skills and aspirations, and building skills and experience along the way.
These placements will develop your ability to work with a range of people from different professions, using a variety of technologies, methods and measures to meet the changing needs of the business. You will be supported to do this with tailored training and coaching alongside building your experience of working with a highly skilled operational team and the engineered systems they use.
At the end of the initial 2-year placement you will undertake an assessment interview that will determine whether you make the grade for a permanent position in NATS, providing the opportunity to further develop your skills and experience to build a challenging and fulfilling career.
Why choose NATS?
- You will have the opportunity to make a positive contribution to the daily operation of a key part of the UK’s national infrastructure.
- You will gain a valuable insight to our business, an acknowledged leader in the aviation industry.
- You will be working at the heart of our organisation, alongside other graduates, undergraduate students and experienced professionals.
- Your placement experience will be unique to you so you can build on knowledge you have gained at university.
We are committed to your personal and professional development and will help you achieve your goals.
What are we looking for?
We’re looking for driven, proactive and committed individuals who will embrace the challenging targets that we’ve set ourselves over the next few years. One thing is clear to us; we can only achieve these targets through our people. We’ll be leading the way technically, operationally, commercially, and politically, and you can help us shape the future.
You’ll need to have achieved a minimum of 2:2 at degree level and be able to demonstrate interest in your field of expertise outside of your studies. Although not exhaustive, the following list provides a guide to the sorts of skills and experience relevant to the roles that we are seeking to fill:
Analytical thinking using qualitative and quantitative methods, e.g. operational analysis, workforce planning, planned and dynamic optimisation of the air traffic network.
A wide variety of leadership, management and business skills, including customer management, business management and reporting, stakeholder management, managing Trade Union relationships.
The management of change, including people-based change management, project management, benefit delivery, requirement analysis, process design.
Use of various techniques as an enabler for efficiency and improvement, including various improvement methodologies and the use of new technologies.
As well as having well developed technical skills you will also need to have great interpersonal skills and the personal resilience to deal with a constantly changing environment with confidence. We need people that are great at engaging and influencing others, with exemplary communication and problem-solving skills and a tenacity to deliver within demanding timescales.
You’ll also need to pass NATS pre-employment security clearance checks.
What’s in it for you?
- Competitive salary - £30,000 per annum
- 28 days of holiday entitlement plus Bank Holidays
- Market-leading defined contribution pension scheme
- Opportunity to study for a fully funded professional qualification (where applicable)