Head Office Operations Graduate 2024
Do you have an innate interest in the core operational functions that keep a business moving? We at Newton have projects across multiple sectors, multiple locations and all involving numerous moving parts that all need to seamlessly fall together...
The Operations team within Newton are the backbone of how we put this puzzle together and continue to deliver results for our clients. Now this may seem daunting, however, joining as a Operations Graduate will give you the opportunity to break down this complex process and learn about (and then contribute to) three key functions that help make the Newton machine tick - Resource Management, Supplier Management and Knowledge. This will give you the opportunity to add value and learn skills and functional experience, plus a wide range of commercial experience in an entrepreneurial growing business.
Joining our Operations Team at a time when we are growing on average 20% per annum will enable you to accelerate your career. This role will be based in our Head Office in Oxfordshire, and to maximise your development, will require being in the office most days when you start with us. After the first year, this will potentially reduce to 2 days minimum in the office per week. You’ll join us in Sept 2024, but we encourage you to apply as soon as possible to secure your offer with us as places are limited.
What you’ll do
Following a thorough onboarding, you’ll rotate through placements in different functions within your first six months in Operations. You’ll have the opportunity to add value and gain extensive and in-depth functional experience. In each area you’ll work alongside a member of our existing teams to understand those roles and gain hands on experience. Progressing through your rotations, you’ll gain an aptitude and desire for a certain area of the business within Operations, and we see you landing in one of these areas after 6 months. In the run up to starting with us, we would have a more in-depth discussion with you to decide which functions you will work with.
These rotations allow for you to seize the opportunity to gain a wide range of commercial experience in an entrepreneurial growing business. As an ideal candidate, you’d be excited by and capable of continuing to progress through positions in the Operations function you’ve joined and have a long-term plan of joining the business management and leadership.
Your responsibilities will vary depending on which rotation you are in.
Some possible examples include
- Working in our knowledge teams is all about taking the best of what we have done and applying that to what we do next.
- You’ll collaborate with our consultant project teams to identify opportunities for cross-team collaboration to improve project delivery efficiency
- You’ll be responsible for maintaining, updating and expanding Newtons internal information infrastructure, and therefore being at the forefront of embodying our demanding better ethos
- In Supplier Management we are passionate about finding the right Supplier answer for the business. Whether that be through effectively administrating our Fleet, ensuring we have the business Insurances we need or understanding and challenging procurement requirements for any of Newton’s Suppliers.
- You'll be evolving our Fleet requirements to ensure our strategy and suppliers are fit for purpose and cost effective. This might include; allocating and managing our fleet of company cars efficiently, or reviewing Fleet Policies, including company car lists.
- In Resource Management, we shape the teams that are pulled together onto client projects. This is incredibly important for the quality of work we deliver and the experience and development of our consultants
- Acting as Resource Planning Coordinator, you will be controlling and updating the Scheduling and Planning records and databases
- You’ll be responsible for the maintenance of Scheduling reports, forecasts and maps
- You'll also be actively contributing to the planning process of our project consultant resource, and helping our colleagues to accurately record project time
Client & Delivery
- In Client & Delivery, we're all about supporting the business in delighting our clients and delivering incredible value add work through delivering improvements across a range of processes and capabilities.
- You'll be working as part of our team to deliver an improvement that's one of our priority areas. This will involve working closely with a variety of Head Office functions and our consultants to deliver a step change in our capabilities, processes or performance visibility to deliver results for the business. Examples have included working to improve our Programme management capability and building a new client satisfaction measurement process.
How will we develop and reward you?
Newton maximises the potential of our people, whether in client-based consulting roles, or in Head Office. The prospects for career and personal development in this role are no exception, with future possibilities across any part of the Head Office Team.
During your induction, you will partake in various activities to help fully immerse you into your team and the wider business. These onboarding sessions will include Presentation Skills, Excel training and networking with the other graduates in your cohort. Beyond your induction, your development will continue. You’ll have a dedicated and consistent Development Manager to support your career progression, receive regular appraisals and annual pay reviews. You will also have a Line Manager, who will be available to give you guidance and support throughout your learning journey with stretching projects and on-the-job feedback.
We offer a highly competitive salary and our generous benefits package includes Life Assurance, Income Protection, pension contributions and 25 days’ holiday. Your overall starting package will be £34,000-£37,500 per annum plus a £3,000 joining bonus. Joining us also brings many social benefits! We have a full social calendar with Autumn and Spring activity days, Christmas events, 3-day Summer event and 6 Newton-sponsored weekends a year.
What we look for in you
You’ll be a high calibre individual, with exceptional levels of personal drive and eagerness for personal development. An analytical mind, coupled with strong communication skills and a positive attitude are essential. We welcome applications from any background, degree qualification or equivalent. We’ll look for you to have the below skills and attributes:
- Able to deal with a rapidly-changing environment and act on your own initiative
- Belief in demanding better in everything they see and then the drive to make changes happen
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including being able to inspire others toward change
- Able to empathise with others
- Numerate and able to solve problems with a data based approach
- Passion for personal development and able to self-reflect on your abilities
- Good IT skills
- Organised and able to prioritise competing demands
- A pleasure to work with and a sense of humour
The skills and attributes outlined in this overview above are by no means exhaustive and we welcome candidates who can bring different relevant experiences to the role. Please note, you can only apply to one of our graduate schemes, across both our consulting and Head Office programmes.