Graduate Software Engineer - Simulation
Ocado Technology’s cutting edge Simulation area are looking for exceptional graduates to contribute to the design, build and analysis of the control algorithms for Ocado’s pioneering technologies. Successful candidates will embrace the opportunity to work in a collaborative research environment where their analysis will inform and impact business decisions; and their code will contribute to a variety of business critical systems.
What we’d like you to do
As part of Ocado’s Research and Science Group, the simulation team contribute to the innovation that fuels Ocado’s growth.
Candidates should be comfortable working in a number of different roles:
- Collaborating with team and external stakeholders to design new simulation and prototype control system features
- Collaborating with team in developing new simulation and control system features
- Collaborating with production control system teams to assist them with integrating production code into simulation, implementing candidate control systems in production code and evaluating changes to production code using simulation.
- Maintaining existing simulations
- Contributing to simulation tooling
- Configuring, running and analysing the output of simulations and presenting the analysis to stakeholders
The simulation teams work alongside many areas of Ocado, in and outside of Ocado Technology, including the CFC Systems, Engineering and Logistics Development teams. Good communication skills are essential, as is attention to detail and ability to reason about and verify simulation results.
Skills and experiences we'd like to see
- Have or expecting at least 2.1 BSc in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Sciences, or other numerate degree. Or has relevant experience. Or demonstrates an exceptional aptitude against other job requirements.
- Strong analytical skills
- Highly motivated
- Experience of Java, Python, Scala or C
- Knowledge of Git, Maven, Jenkins, Gitlab-CI
- Experience and interest in Real-time Systems
- Experience and interest in optimisation techniques
However, this is not a set in stone requirements list. We recognise the software industry is filled with smart people from so many different backgrounds. If you enjoy being part of the team and if you like: learning fast (through experimentation, self-motivation etc); being autonomous but able to collaborate (sharing knowledge is important to us); craftsmanship and innovation (we never stop questioning how we can be better), then we look forward to hearing from you.
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.