Junior Web Designer
We’re Ocado Retail. We’re the people powering Ocado.com, the UK’s fastest-growing grocer, and Ocado Zoom, our almost-as-fast-growing, same-day grocery service.
As the world’s biggest and best online-only grocer, we work tirelessly to bring more of what matters to our customers: unbeatable range, fair value and effortless convenience.
Our business is a joint venture between Marks & Spencer Group and Ocado Group. It’s a successful combination of award-winning customer service and unrivalled customer data; world-leading technology and logistics from Ocado Group, and unrivalled product development from M&S.
This unique structure enables us to outperform the market, with revenue for the last 12 months of £2.188bn – a galloping 35% year-over-year growth.
We’re an exceptional and mighty bunch of colleagues who are inspired by our three awesome values: Always be curious, Bring your best self and Challenge what's possible. We’re growing fast, and we’re looking for like-minded people to join us for the next step of this incredible journey.
About the Role
We are on the hunt for a talented junior web designer who is excited about creating beautiful creative designs for web and email. Being a foodie would be a big help too!
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a fast-moving, growing business in a fun and dynamic team that is always ready to go the extra mile.
Reporting into our Web Design & Development Lead, you will join a team of creative customer-focused web designers and developers within our Hertfordshire-based in-house studio. This studio also includes digital designers, writers, photographers, art directors and more.
What you'll need
You are a creative designer, with a good understanding of the Adobe suite (XD, PS, AI) and a skill for turning a brief into a fantastic piece of customer communication.
As a junior, you’ll work with other team members and support them in upholding our brand and digital standards. You will have an eye for detail and a for spotting contrast or file size issues that could result in a poor user experience.
You are the type of person who says yes to a challenge and loves being in a team, who gets things done. You will help set the digital standards bar within the team with the help of the more senior team members.
Day to Day
Each day is different at Ocado as we are a young company with tons of ambition to change the world of online shopping. We don’t have physical stores, so we have to grab people's attention in the digital world. This means that one day you could be meeting with the business to discuss a Halloween campaign and the next working on an email campaign to promote our electric vans.
Briefs are provided by project owners from all areas of the business and it’s the job of you and the rest of the team to interpret, build upon and challenge these before you bring the briefs to life. We’re an in-house team, with a whole organisation relying on us to get things done, so we need you to be professional, self-motivated and dependable too, achieving tight deadlines but brave enough to push back and flag in the initial stages reasonable turnaround times.
- A creative, capable web designer with understanding of design principles
- A good understanding of Adobe Creative Suite
- A clean and creative design style - web banners, email creative and campaign assets
- A strong portfolio
- Organised, resilient, self-motivated and dependable
- Seriously creative
- Looking to be an integral part of a creatively ambitious in-house studio
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work within a team as well as with clients
- A love for learning new things and exploring new techniques
- Be able to talk through your ideas with the creative leadership team and business stakeholders
- Web design specialism. Capable of creating work for websites; mobile web/app; email.
- Usability and accessibility understanding. Produce output that is easy and intuitive for all customers to use, demonstrating a strong understanding of current web standards.
- User experience. Understand the customer; employ logical and analytical thinking; demonstrate the importance of consistent customer experience and view each job or channel as part of an overall whole.
- Presentation skills. Use scamps, wireframes and other presentation material to present your work to colleagues and/or business partners.
- Brand guardianship. Ensure that all work adheres to Ocado brand guidelines.
- Meet business objectives. Work with the team to understand what business owners are asking for, and translate that into commercial, creative solutions. Act in the best interests of Ocado and its customers at all times.
- Good technical proficiency in design software - XD, PS, AI.
- Up-to-date knowledge of industry trends, and platform and software capabilities. Good understanding of design theory and structure, in particular layout, type, colour, formatting, semiotics and information design.
- Image editing skills, including optimisation, isolating and resizing.
- Able to concept and present ideas as part of a team, including wireframing and scamping.
- Able to output ‘pixel-perfect designs’ across multiple browsers or devices.
- Good technical proficiency in Adobe digital design software, including Photoshop, Illustrator and XD, an understanding of Sketch and Figma would be a bonus.
- Up-to-date understanding of best practice for web, email and mobile communications, including accessibility (WCAG 2.0).
- Basic responsive design using templates.
- Content management and asset management
- Banner design (animated)
- Banner design (static)
- Banner design (HTML)
- Basic digital artworking; turn a design scamp into a digital-ready layout; make marked-up text corrections; run a spellcheck.
- Basic image editing, including optimisation, colour correction, isolating, resizing and retouching.
- Basic landing page layout using templates.
- Create images (Photoshop / Illustrator).
- Creating variants for testing.
- Material for user testing
Projects you might work on
- Email, banner, and shop creative.
- Good digital ‘artworking’; turn a design scamp into a digital-ready output; make marked-up text corrections; run a spellcheck.
- Good image editing, including optimisation, colour correction, isolating, resizing and retouching.
- Create wireframes (Xd)
- Create images (Photoshop / Illustrator).
What We Offer You
At Ocado, we value our employees and want to ensure you are rewarded for your contribution through competitive salaries and fantastic benefits.
- 26 Days Annual Leave
- Private Medical insurance
- Income Protection & Life Assurance
- Enhanced Pension Scheme (with 7% matching)
- 15% Ocado discount and 20% Marks and Spencer discount
- Exciting company benefits through Reward Gateway
Equal Opportunity Employer
Ocado Retail Ltd is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employers are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status