Ofcom is at the cutting edge of modern communications - from broadcasting on TV and radio, to telecoms and how we communicate with each other, to new wireless technologies. Our graduates play a key role in all of these areas. Join us, and you can get involved from the start.
On the graduate scheme, you will embark on a two-year series of intensive job placements, moving regularly between projects and departments to ensure that the knowledge and insight you are exposed to is as broad as possible. So, one week you might be devising new policy directives; the next, monitoring content standards. On successful completion of the two-year scheme you will make the transition into a permanent role in one of the business areas relevant to your chosen pathway.
Communications technology is changing rapidly. This affects the technologies that are being deployed in networks today as well as the technologies that consumers choose to use to access services. Our Technologists ensure we fully consider the impact of technology developments when we develop and apply regulation, working across the different areas of Ofcom’s responsibilities, such as broadcasting, mobile, fixed telecoms, the internet and cyber security. You will be required to develop a broad understanding of a variety of technologies and highlight the potential implications for competition, consumers and the demand for radio spectrum.
As a Technologist, you will have the opportunity to work on projects in these different sectors, for example:
- Understanding the latest developments in 5G and its impact on the services that can be delivered to citizens and consumers;
- Learning how Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning is being used by industry to manage their networks or to create new services; or
- Considering how the move towards on-demand content affects the way that networks are managed.
A graduate technologist role at Ofcom will give you the following opportunities:
- The opportunity to put your degree into practice, with a chance to apply your skills
- Continuing to learn in a supportive environment, from colleagues with backgrounds in other disciplines such as researchers, analysts, economists, lawyers and policy specialists and technical experts
- Making a difference for millions of people
- The unique perspective to understand developments across the whole of the industry.
- Starting a rewarding career in an increasingly important and dynamic sector for the UK economy
- We offer a competitive salary, flexible working and the wide range of benefits that are available for all colleagues
The graduate scheme at Ofcom can provide all of this and more.
At Ofcom, we're looking for:
- Ambitious and passionate individuals who live by our values of: Excellence, Collaboration, Agility and Empowerment
- A degree in a maths, engineering, physics, or computer science related discipline
Ofcom offers a number of benefits to employees, including:
- Flexible benefits allowance
- Pension allowance
- 25 days’ holiday
- Private medical insurance
- Life assurance
- Annual health check
- Income protection insurance
The application process consists of four stages:
- Online application
- Video interview
- Essay Submission
- Assessment centre
Location: London or Edinburgh