Commercial Graduate Programme
Pernod Ricard is a leading company in the global wines and spirits industry. We hold one of the most prestigious brand portfolios in the drinks sector, including 19 brands among the worldwide top 100. Our key brands in the UK include ABSOLUT vodka, Jameson Irish Whiskey, Beefeater and Plymouth Gins, The Glenlivet Scotch whisky, Havana Club rum, Malibu rum, Chivas Regal Scotch whisky, Perrier-Jouët champagne and our premium wine brands Brancott Estate, Campo Viejo and Jacob’s Creek.
In the UK, Pernod Ricard is comprised of 3 affiliates: Pernod Ricard UK which sells and distributes our products in the UK market; Chivas Brothers brand company, our global Scotch whisky business which is responsible for the production, innovation and global brands of our whisky portfolio; and Pernod Ricard Global Travel Retail, the global HQ of the group’s duty free, air travel and cruises business.
Our UK headquarters is in London, in a brand-new office designed with sustainability, ‘conviviality’ and collaboration in mind. We also have offices in Scotland and various distilleries and production sites across the UK from Plymouth to London to Speyside. We are an organisation of around 2,000 employees in the UK, 600 of which are based in London.
About the team
The Commercial Graduate Programme is housed in Pernod Ricard UK. We are a convivial, passionate, entrepreneurial and dynamic organisation of 320 people.
Within our commercial structure, we have 70 employees working on selling our brands specifically to the “On Trade”. The On Trade consists of over 120,000 licensed premises (Bar, Pubs, Restaurants, Nightclubs) supplied by a number of large national and regional wholesalers. Pernod Ricard UK manages our relationship with the On Trade through 4 aligned business units: Field Sales, Prestige, Managed Retail and Route To Market.
Of the 70 people selling to the On Trade, 32 sit within our Field Sales team. These colleagues each cover a territory roughly consisting of 200 On Trade outlets. This allows us to sell our brands to and maintain a personal face-to-face relationship with over 6,000 of the top outlets across the UK, from Shoreditch to Cornwall to Aberdeen.
In essence, the purpose of the Field Sales Team is to sell and activate our fantastic spirits brands and drinks to the top 6,000 On Trade outlets in the UK.
The UK On Trade is an incredibly vibrant industry in which to work and engage consumers and has seen a huge momentum bounce back since trade reopened. For Pernod Ricard UK, the On Trade channel is an important contributor of profit, as well as playing a vital role in building the equity of our brands with consumers.
About the Commercial Graduate Programme
The Commercial Graduate Programme is the place where successful careers in Sales & Marketing begin at Pernod Ricard.
The programme lasts 12 months, during which your role will be as a Graduate Business Development Executive in our Field Sales team.
For the first 6 to 8 weeks, you will split your time between our London HQ and being out in the field. Following this initial period, you will be based in your own Sales Region. Therefore, you will be comfortable with being based in any of our North, South, London or Scotland regions for the duration of the Programme.
At the end of your Graduate Programme – or even before – we expect that you will progress into a full-time position in our Sales function, most likely initially within the Field Sales team. For this reason, although the programme lasts 12 months, we will offer you a permanent employment contract from the beginning and you commit to being flexible in where you will be based in the UK after your Programme finishes.
Beyond that, the opportunities to progress your career in Sales & Marketing are vast! For example, Charlotte Mason joined our Grad Scheme in 2010 and is currently the Senior Account Manager on our Amazon account. Prior to Amazon, Charlotte worked as a Brand Manager in our Marketing team and as a Customer Account Manager looking after our business with ASDA. Craig Scott joined our Grad scheme in 2011 and is now heading up our largest On Trade customer, Matthew Clark, having worked on the Tesco and Morrisons accounts prior to his current role.
About your role
You will be responsible for driving sales, distribution and visibility of Pernod Ricard brands, as well as developing relationships and being the face of Pernod Ricard in your customer base of 150 outlets.
- Develop a face-to-face relationship with staff at 150 outlets within your territory
- Use selling tools to drive distribution of Pernod Ricard products at outlet level – e.g. gain a listing of Jameson Orange in Bar X
- Use selling tools to drive visibility of Pernod Ricard brands and drinks at outlet level – e.g. have Absolut Vanilia & Kahlua feature in an Expresso Martini on a cocktail menu in Bar Y
- Negotiate annual contracts with larger independent outlets to secure house pouring status on our biggest brands, as well as managing activation at outlet, bringing our brands to life in the trade
- Achieve key performance targets
What you need
We have developed 6 Leadership Attributes that will help Pernod Ricard achieve our ambition of rapidly and proactively becoming the uncontested industry leader. These Attributes embody the attitudes and behaviours that we expect of our people in all areas, including our own Commercial team. These are:
- Growth Mindset: Forward thinking, embodying a vision that translates into inspiring strategies. Thrives in a complex and changing world deploying resources effectively and efficiently.
- Deliver Through Collaboration: Achieves results while balancing rigorous planning and flexible transversal collaboration. Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Consumer Centric: Develops consumer intimacy with a focus of technology to innovate and create more value for the consumer and Pernod Ricard.
- Bold and Agile: Decisive and courageous even in the face of difficult and complex situations and always learns from past experiences. Stepping up to address difficult issues, saying what needs to be said in a respectful way.
- Open and Authentic: Role Models who instil trust, engage teams by giving and receiving feedback and constantly fostering open dialogue.
- Grow Diverse Teams: Leverages and values diversity of profiles to build empowered teams and develops talents creating a sense of belonging in an environment that promotes Pernod Ricard values.
What’s in it for you
Joining Pernod Ricard means joining a leading company with amazing brands, a ‘convivial’ culture and a commitment to sustainability & responsible business. You will have access to outstanding learning & development and the opportunity to make a real difference every day.
The Commercial Graduate Programme will kick-start your career Sales & Marketing at Pernod Ricard. You will benefit from an in-depth induction and training in our business and will rapidly move to managing our own accounts. You will receive the mentorship and opportunities that will help you progress your career within our company.
What do we require
- Be available to start your programme from March 2022
- Be flexible in where you are based for your Graduate Programme and for future roles
- An interest in a Commercial Career
- Strong demonstration of our Leadership Attributes during the interview process
- Application submission
- Online test
- Video interview
- Phone interview
- Assessment centre
At Pernod Ricard, we want to build an inclusive organisational culture, where everyone feels welcome. We are ‘créateurs de convivialité’, and conviviality can only thrive when we embrace our differences. For us, inclusion is all about respect, ethics and mutual trust, living a culture that encourages openness, cooperation, transparent communications and ensures a work environment that is fun, contemporary, relevant, and responsible. A culture where we can truly be ourselves.
Please email us here if there are any reasonable adjustments we can make to assist you in your application or with any part of the recruitment process. These may include online tests, video interviews, short phone calls and an assessment centre. For more information and guidance please visit here.